Monday, July 18, 2011

The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

I'm going to use this blog for therapeutic purposes this week in order to get over my break-up with the cute neighbor, so please bear with me.

In case you're wondering, I'm doing much better today, thanks for asking. I've broken it down into these categories, focusing more on The Good, than The Bad or The Ugly. Here's what I've come up with.

The Good:
  • All the fun I can now have when I move to London in the fall. No, seriously. Now I can enjoy London to the fullest. It's going to be EPIC. As Grayer just pointed out to me over the phone, this could be the best thing to happen right now. I'll have way more fun now that I'm free and single. And ready to mingle. It's why I've made this song my official breakup song. (Don't worry, I'll also be listening to a lot of Alanis, Fiona, Lily Allen, Adele, etc. I'm not that cool about it.)
  • My friends/sister are being pretty awesome. Grayer has listened to me sob into the phone twice in one weekend, then immediately started researching flights so we can take a post-break-up cleansing trip. Fenella did some top-notch research for me when I asked her if British men are into dark, curvy women (since she and I are complete and total opposites on that aspect. We'll never be mistaken for sisters) and made me laugh via email:

Me:(Fen) Do English men like dark curvy women?
Carson (TWH's housemate): Depends where the curves are.
Me: In all the right places?
Carson: Then yes.

See! You may need to give English guys a bit of a prod (figuratively speaking). This won't be because they don't like you. This is because they are a bit rubbish at making the first move. Some not so much, just don't think they don't like you because they will. But don't worry, you'll get prodded back (literally speaking). See what I did there? :)

It was funny, and I appreciated it. Another friend called today to see if I needed to talk and offered to take the day off work to come visit me at my parents' house in a few weeks (because when I'm there, there will be absolutely nothing else to do but think about it). One of my co-workers called him a turkey and offered to have his inbox spammed. I will obviously take the high road and not take her up on this offer, but I really appreciate it.

The Bad:
  • The bad part comes when I don't think about the near future and all the fun I'll be having and instead think about what won't be happening down the road. There won't be anymore Vi and the cute neighbor, we won't end up together. I mean, my last name is Bickerstaff, and his is DiBickers, and together, our children would have been DiBickerstaff, how perfect is that? Apparently it's not perfect at all, which is why I'm focusing on the good.
The Ugly:
  • I feel like I should send out an announcement to people so that they won't ask how things are going. If we were celebrities, we would issue a joint statement through our publicists that says something along the lines of "While we still care deeply for each other, we have reached the tough and painful decision to end our relationship. We remain the best of friends and wish that everyone will respect our privacy at this difficult time." Sadly, we're not that important. I've been telling people on a very need-to-know basis, (like everyone who reads this blog) mostly because I don't want to have to answer the question when they ask how things are going. It's easier just to cut them off at the pass, but it would be nice if I could just send out a mass text or something. Of course our favorite e-card site has plenty of cards for just that occasion, I just can't bring myself to actually send one.
It's also 10pm, and I haven't cried yet today. I think that's excellent progress.


3 comments:

Scarlet said...

v. proud of you. Excellent progress since last post. London will be so much better without a long distance relationship holding you back!

Didn't Bridget write something in her diary to the effect of your public statement? It sounds very Bridget Jones.

Adele album on its way to your inbox...

Fenella said...

Whew! I fell into the 'good' section - yes! This sounds like a very positive day. Am happy to do more research for you, it's what I'm here for.

Violet said...

I don't think Bridget wrote anything about a public statement, it's pretty much what every single statement sounds like when celebrities break up. I know. I listen to entertainment news. Thanks for the album.