Thursday, July 28, 2011

Raise your glass

I am still alive. Honest. I realise that it has been some time since I've blogged, I really don't know what happened. Of course, there was the Best. Surprise. EVER. It really was. Then there was the Worst. Week. Back. At. Work. EVER. That was pretty fun too.

But to be honest, there's not many exciting things happening in my life right now. My life has become somewhat non-blogable. (It's a word).

However, lest we forget, THE WEDDING is fast approaching. In fact, it will take place in one week and two days. I really don't know how it came about so quickly. I am mostly prepared - thanks to the internet and online shopping. But there is one thing I am struggling with a little bit.

My Maid of Honour speech.

When Elsa first suggested it I did think it was going to be a piece of cake. I'm not saying I'm the world's greatest public speaker or anything but public speaking and thinking of things to say in (the few) speeches I've given has never really bothered me. I wrote my manager's leaving speech in about 10 minutes and people complemented me on it. This may make me sound conceited but I am well aware of the things in life I'm not good at. And there's quite a few. So I think it's nice to sometimes acknowledge the things I'm half decent at.

Except I'm suffering from writer's block. And I've never been a Maid of Honour before. And I don't know anyone who has does a Maid of Honour speech before. I turned to google but quickly turned off when I found one website on 'how to write the perfect Maid of Honour speech' which was peppered with exclamation marks and chirply informed me to adapt the 3P's strategy:

1. Plan
2. Personalise
3. Practice

I was also told that I want to ensure that my speech is one of the memorable Maid of Honour speeches. No pressure then.

I think I've decided to go down the 'awwwww' route rather than the funny route. That's the job of the Best Man. But I am struggling so any suggestions, jokes or sure fire 'awwwwww' crowd pleasers - answers on a postcard please.

2 comments:

Violet said...

Why don't you talk about that time you all took her out for an awesome Hen weekend and she was a total bitch about it? That would be sooooo funny...

Ok, seriously now. How about starting out with the day you first met? Or the first time she introduced you to her husband and you knew then and there they would live happily ever after?

Grayer said...

I was at a wedding where the maid of honor/sister of the bride stood up for her speech and said "I honestly have no idea what to say, congratulations Bob and Sue!" That's it. The bride laughed but I would have been piiiiisssssed.

No matter what you say, you'll always do better than that.