Monday, July 19, 2010

There is not enough Frizz-Ease in the world for this city

Summertime.... and the living is easy.....

Yeah, right. If you are blessed with shiny hair and a perspiration-free life it is. I have neither of those. Therefore, I gave up being cute this summer a long time ago. It didn't just start on that sweaty, stinky trip to Costa Rica, either. No, no. Here in Atlanta, "Don't call me Hotlanta" Georgia, it has been hot for some time. Just ask Fen. She was here in the beginning of April and almost killed me for insisting we could walk to several locations, only to arrive sweaty and red-faced. Trust me Fen, that was nothing.

I don't know how some women do it. How do they look so crisp and put together during the dog days of summer? These past few days, I have set new standards of hair frizz. I didn't know these levels of frizziness were possible in areas outside the jungle. Even when I braid it and stick a headband on, the massive amounts of frizz are apparent to anyone with eyes. Last week, the cute neighbor actually said to me, "The level of humidity really does affect the size of your hair. I mean, it's noticably bigger." Yes, yes it is. Seriously, I think I should just pull a Monica and get it braided. Then it will be a treat for the eyes and the ears!

And don't even get me started on the sweating. As has already been well-documented, Grayer and I are not ladies who glisten. I came to terms with that a long time ago, when I was the first (well, tied with Grayer) to sweat through my t-shirt at volleyball practice. I just took it as a mark that I was working hard. But in all honesty, I don't have to work very hard to sweat. In fact, I don't have to work hard at all. I will sweat in my car, (the AC is a vain attempt to cool it down from the hot southern sunshine) I will sweat cleaning the house, I will sweat walking to my car, I will even sweat in my sleep (my apartment is quite stuffy). When it is already 80 degrees when I leave for work at 8am, it's a losing battle.

Of course, the cute neighbor doesn't sweat all that much. Last week when we were walking to watch the World Cup final, he looked at me all slick with sweat and said, "oooh, look at the sweat just pouring off you." Obviously, he doesn't seem to mind a sweaty lady. This weekend, my oldest friend is in town. (Oldest as in I've known her longer than anyone else, save for Grayer, who doesn't count.) She and I are very similar this way. Curly, frizzy hair, and will sweat at the slightest temperature increase. It's kind of nice to have another girl around who has sweat marks on her clothes and can sympathize with a major case of swamp ass. This is why we are friends.

And for those women whose hair is never out of place and just don't seem to sweat? We will never be friends. I mean, it's hot outside. Put your hair in a ponytail already!

1 comment:

Grayer said...

In our defense, I think we were working the hardest at volleyball practice. Unfortunately we haven't outgrown the "glistening" we're just the 1 in 4 women who sweat more than usual.

It's hot in Boston too. Not Hotlanta hot, but Boston hot. By the time I walk to the subway in the morning, all my efforts to look somewhat cute have gone down the crapper.But you know what, I also don't look good in a big winter coat, a red nose and trudging through the snow, THEN sweating in the station. So summer, stay a while, I'll take you anyday.