Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Natural pheromones

Yes yes, I'm finally blogging about our trip. I'm also finally getting around to doing my laundry and I promise you, the smelly backpack roasting in the heat was a much more pressing matter. Why does it smell you ask? Let me paint you a picture. In the midst of the pristine beaches , cloud rain forests, and an active volcano, were two sweaty, smelly girls with unwashed hair and unkempt eyebrows . No, Violet and I do not look good when we travel. We choose function over flattery, makeup and hair products never make it on the list, and to top it all off, due to a rash, I was not to wear deodorant. That's right I didn't wear deodorant the entire trip. If the animals couldn't see me, they could definitely smell me (just ask Vi).

So what better time to meet my perfect match. It's as if the Costa Rican gods were playing a cruel cruel joke on me, picking him up out of the abyss and placing him a seat away from me, eager for conversation. If there were ever a man that was my type, The Bearded Wonder is it. Beard? Check. Funny? Check. Lovably goofy and outgoing? Check. Young professional, loves to travel, knows how to cook and appreciates the art of a well-crafted beer? Check. Even Violet had a crush on him (A friend crush she says, a you-should-marry-my-sister crush).

The Bearded Wonder is from Washington, D.C. (boooo!) and was traveling Costa Rica alone for the week. We met him on a boat. Chatted with him on the bus and ended up rooming with him in the hostel for two nights. We cooked dinner with him. We went hiking with him. We laid in bed giggling with him (ok he wasn't in our bed, but his ramblings were making us laugh). He did not annoy us. He did not care how much we sweat (he sweat plenty). He did not rob us. He did not plant illegal substances on us to enter the country with, a la Fucking Jed in Bridget Jones (which is good considering 1. neither of us have a top barrister-Colin Firth type to bail us out and 2. I don't want to have to call him The Bearded Fucking Wonder in my diary).

I know what you are wondering. Did anything happen with TBW? The answer to that question is, are you freaking kidding me?!? For starters, Violet was always with us. But more importantly, I was disgusting (please refer to the first paragraph, however in addition to body odor, add a damp-clothes-smell and bugspray). So no, nothing happened. To be honest, we couldn't really tell if he was into me. Sure he was flirty and wasn't outwardly not into me, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. If only he knew how much better I can look/smell.

All in all it was the perfect 2 and 1/2 day relationship. We almost convinced him to move on to the next town with us, but sadly he decided to go ahead with his original plans (This could indicate that he wasn't into me but the huge dilemma he was having trying to decide could indicate that he was into me). After sweaty hugs, an exchange in email addresses and a group picture, we parted ways. As we watched him walk away, Violet turns to me and says "You need to find a reason to go to D.C." Truer words were never spoken.

1 comment:

Violet said...

Um, yes, you smelled bad. I was no bed of roses myself, but at least I had my Dove deodorant. And yes, you need to find a reason to go to D.C. Any conferences coming up? Any friends in the vicinity? Any sudden urges to visit the Smithsonian? Think of something and do it quick, woman! Time is of the essence!