Sunday, December 21, 2008

Very few men fail to disappoint.

Legends say that Ernest Hemingway was once challenged to write a story in six words. His answer for this was "For Sale: baby shoes, never worn." In response to this fabled story, SMITH magazine in 2006 started a contest: Tell your story in six words. The outcome is a book of six-word memoirs: Not quite what I was planning. I just wanted to share some of my favorite short, short stories of love and war. So tell us, what's your story?
  • I still make coffee for two.
  • Love the men. Hate the commitment.
  • Yes to every date, met mate.
  • Anything's possible with an extension cord.
  • Found true love, married someone else.
  • What the hell, might as well
  • It's not you. It's me. Honest.
  • Batteries are cheap. Who needs men?
  • Discovered moral code via Judy Blume.
  • Smart, tall, independent woman. Men scarce.
  • Too many lovers-too little time.
  • Snuggling, setups. These are my specialties.
  • Lucky in everything else but love.
  • Alone at home, cat on lap.
  • Just in: Boyfriend's gay. Merry Christmas.
  • Revenge is living well, without you.
  • She always wore socks to bed.
  • More broken bones than broken hearts.
  • I waste time looking for love.
  • Saw clearly after blind date: Marriage!
  • Secretly, I dream of my ex-boyfriend.
  • Never a bridesmaid, always a bride.
  • Sexy single, married not so much.

4 comments:

Violet said...

- Discovered moral code via Judy Blume.
- Smart, tall, independent woman. Men scarce.

That sounds like me in 12. Obviously, I will think really hard to come up with my own original 6 word story, although I argue that it would be much, much easier to write my story in 600 words.

Violet said...

How about this one...

Passport full, but I travel alone.

Scarlet said...

- My biggest fear is being alone.
- Three scary words: I love you.
- Sometimes dogs are better than men.

Violet said...

I kept going...

-Two fears: bats and bikini wax.
-I don't pine, I move on.