Sunday, February 8, 2009

Film Review: He's Just Not That Into You

Upon first hearing that there was going to be a movie version of HJNTIY, I thought how are they going to pull that off? The good news is, they did pull it off. And very well.

The story follows a pretty large cast on their dating adventures, each one in the middle of a relationship phase featured in the book. One couple is in a 7-year relationship (he's not marrying her), another girl is sitting by the phone (he's not calling her), then she thinks her friend is really into her (but he's not dating her), one guy is in love with his female friend (but she's not sleeping with him), while the female friend is seeing a married man (he's married, and to his wife, he's sleeping with somebody else).

One of the highlights was listening to Gigi (the one who's not getting called) getting advice from her guy friend, who tells her to stay away from guys who aren't interested in her. You mean I'm not supposed to date guys who don't like me? There's not going to be anybody left! Funny, because we've all been there. Staying with the guy who's just not that into us because who else is there?

What makes the movie so good is the same thing that makes the book so good. The encouragement to get away from the guy who's not into you so you can find the guy that is.

2 comments:

Grayer said...

Ok, Gigi drove me CRAZY! She was such an idiot, that it was painful for me to watch. I realize some women wait for men to call but come on.

I brought my friend "Lisa" (the one in the 8year relationship) because I thought she might get a clue from the character Beth, who was in a 7 year relationship with no ring. Sadly I don't think this worked.

Overall, I liked the movie most of the time though it was a little long.

Scarlet said...

Spoiler alert!

It annoyed me that the 7 year relationship couple ended up getting engaged! Wasn't the point that "he isn't that into you if he isn't marrying you" not that if you tell him you are alright with it he will eventually propose?

I acknowledge Gigi was crazy but having never been in a long term relationship (or an affair), I associated with her the most. What girl hasn't been disappointed when a guy doesn't call after what we thought was a good date? I felt like her character grew the most throughout the movie.