Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Online Dating Round Two

After a brief hiatus I have decided to try online dating again. My previous experience was with eharmony. While I like the concept of eharmony, the delivery was sadly lacking. The problem with eharmony is that you enter it blindly without knowing how many people in your area actually use the service. Unfortunately I discovered that the guys in my area were very limited.

This time I’m trying match.com on the suggestion of a couple of my friends. My main objection to this is privacy. Anyone can signup and without paying see your profile and pictures. This is of course also a benefit because you can scope out your options before paying. One of my new friends from meetup also signed up for match.com recently. I think that it will be fun to experience this with someone else. We can compare stories and advise each other on the men we are communicating with. I will of course also be consulting Violet from time to time as always but it will be nice to have the perspective of someone else who is going through the same thing.

The nature of these dating services is that you WILL be contacted by some objectionable men. It can get to be quite time consuming to correspond with all the guys who contact you. My general rule is that if I am disgusted by even the thought of meeting a guy, then I say no thanks. This basically rules out the old men, babydaddies, illiterate, and guys that imply they are looking for a hookup in their profiles. (Yes Violet I know that you think that I should talk to all of them but I feel that this is setting the bar quite low!)

So far there are two guys that have definite potential, both living within an hour drive of me. The first guy contacted me and after a couple of emails and chatting through the website I gave him my email address (all of this occurred within one day). The following day he emailed me 6 times with short messages. The guy seems really nice but I have to say I was wondering if it was normal that a guy would want updates on how my day is going every few hours. I'm guessing that means that he is just that into me?

I initiated contact with the second guy, who is an engineer. We have emailed back and forth a couple of times and seem to have a lot in common. My impression based on his profile and pictures is that he is a bit nerdy but outdoorsy and has a dog (all good things). A little nerd is good for you, right Violet? He is a redhead and reminds me of my brother in some way.

One of the other guys that contacted me has a picture of an older lady sitting in his lap. I’m guessing it is his mother. While I did respond to him, I have to question the judgment of a guy who posts a picture of himself with a woman in his lap whether it is his mother or Mrs. Robinson.

I'll let you know how it goes!

No comments: