Sunday, April 4, 2010

Friendly neighbors

Fenella, giving me recent feedback on my "situation" with the cute neighbor.

Don't worry Vi! I am on my way and can therefore observe the situation first hand and give sound advice.
I'm guessing it will probably involve me having one too many vodka cranberries and shouting:
"Just kiss each other already!"
You'll thank me for it I'm sure.

And lo and behold, that is EXACTLY what happened. On Friday, the cute neighbor made Fen and me dinner, after which the three of us went out. Sure enough, after a few vodka and cranberries (or maybe just one, Fen is quite a lightweight) she ended up blurting out pretty much this exact sentence. I'm sure I went red.

Fast forward to Saturday night. We went out again with the cute neighbor and this time McNerdy joined us. Fenella was deep into conversation with McNerdy, and I was chatting with the cute neighbor when he told me he had a confession to make. He took a long, dramatic pause. Then he blurted out that he liked me. A lot. First I asked him how much of it was the beer talking. He said it may have loosened him up, but the beer speaks the truth. Then I asked if he was tired of being my fake boyfriend. He said being my fake boyfriend was good fun and all, but that he wanted to be so much more than that.

Whoa.

I mean, really. I didn't know what to say. Obviously I was happy to hear that, but as I have a problem using my words in situations such as these, all I could say was, "OK." Brilliant, Vi. Truly brilliant. A degree in English, and the only word you can come up with is an "OK"? The rest of the conversation is a bit fuzzy, (I wasn't drunk, but just a bit in shock I think) but I know that at some point I told him that I "wasn't disappointed" (again, BRILLIANT) and he said that after he lays it all out on the table like that, he won't pursue if not responded to. Not long after, I literally pushed Fenella into the ladies' room and told her these latest developments while peeing. Seeing as she had NO IDEA this conversation had taken place mere inches from her, she was a little frightened.

After leaving the bar, we went back to the cute neighbor's, who made us a late-night snack. We said our goodnights and Fen and I went back to my place. What happened next, Fenella swears is straight out of a movie. (And I swear it's the truth.) While I was brushing my teeth, I thought about what he said, and I realized that I couldn't leave the situation with a stupid "ok" and an "I'm not disappointed." So I spit out my toothpaste and told Fenella I would be right back. She cheered as I walked out the door. I ran across the street and knocked on the cute neighbor's door, knowing full well that there was no turning back now.

"Hi," I said.
"Come in," he said. I did. We didn't talk for awhile after that. We just kissed for a good long while.

Finally, I stopped to ask a very important question. I wanted to make sure he wasn't just interested in a one-night stand. He pointed out that if he was only interested in a one-time hook up, it wouldn't have taken him so long to make a move. Fair enough.

I eventually managed to pull myself away and came back to bed with Fenella, who was only fake-sleeping and waiting for me to spill the details.

So is he an imaginary boyfriend? I think we've just found our answer.


6 comments:

Fenella said...

I feel I need to defend myself on a few points:

1. I am a little bit of a lightweight, this is true. However, I gave Vi fair warning what would happen with a vodka & cranberry in hand. And come on, someone had to say it!

2. I wasn't aware that the conversation was taking place because I tend not to listen in on other people's conversations. (And, if you're wondering about what I was deep in conversation with McNerdy about, I was telling him how unfriendly London is.)

Now that I feel suitably defended, I have to say that last night was EXACTLY like a movie. And I should know, I've watched a lot of rom-coms. They are very cute.

And I take full credit for this.

Grayer said...

Well done Fen. And Vi,so articulate! It would have been more like a movie if they didn't say anything at all..and if it were raining. Sounds to me like somebody has an imaginary boyfriend, something I've been saying alllll along!

Fenella said...

No, no, no Grayer! He wants to be an actual boyfriend, nothing imaginary or fake about it.

Scarlet said...

An ACTUAL boyfriend? Wow, that is such a foreign concept to WWBD! It's not even in our dictionary.

Grayer said...

The fact that there were feelings and making out involved, proved that the cute neighbor was not a replacement boyfriend, but an imaginary boyfriend all along. HA!

Violet said...

But we weren't making out before! And as well all know, an imaginary boyfriend NEVER becomes an ACTUAL boyfriend. So I guess only time will tell.