Saturday, January 24, 2009

Love = Tampons

While the seemingly never-ending quest for Mr. Right marches on, it's not uncommon to stop and ask yourself, What exactly am I looking for? The answer lies in the feminine hygiene aisle.

A few years ago, I was working a minimum-wage job at a drug-store in college, when a man approached the register with a box of pads. Then he asked if he could use our phone, and proceeded to call his wife so he could double check to make sure he had the right kind. That, I thought to myself, is love.

Ever since, I've been searching for a man who is willing to stop at the store and pick up tampons for me. I haven't put anyone through The Tampon Test yet, but I'm willing to bet the long-term relationship I was in at the time would have ended a lot sooner had I given my long-term boyfriend The Test the next day.

Aside: Not long after, another man came in, and his sole purchase was a pregnancy test. The favor screamed fear more than love, although it's easy to picture a scenario involving his girlfriend crying on the bathroom floor over her missed period, and he chivalrously runs to the nearest drugstore in order to calm her down, but it's partially his fault she's crying on the bathroom floor to begin with.

And I'm not talking about a guy who grabs the first box of tampons he sees and shoves it under his coat (because seriously, generic tampons? I don't think so) but the guy who is sure to buy the Tampax Pearl multi-pak, and possibly a pint of Ben & Jerry's Half-Baked (because he knows you'll be needing some of that too) because you don't deserve generic tampons, you deserve the best. Is that too much to ask?

4 comments:

Scarlet said...

Love it! This is genius!

Sadly, I have to agree with you...he probably wouldn't have passed the tampon test. But I think that this is not only a test of love but also a test of maturity, self-confidence, and commitment. All inclusive!

Grayer said...

This test is evil. I have never asked this of a man nor will I ever (unless we're married and all mystery has dissolved). If you need a Tampon test to get your guy to prove his love to you, perhaps you are the one that is insecure of your relationship.

An emergency pregnancy test is a sweet gesture, however, there's no reason we shouldn't already be prepared with tampons.

Grayer said...

Also, generic tampons freak me the hell out. It's like TSS wrapped up in an Equate box. eek.

Violet said...

It's not meant to be evil. Obviously, we should be prepared as far as a tampon supply, but what happens if that empty box sneaks up on you, and what if that happens during a time of illness or what feels like life-threatening cramps? That's not insecure, that's desperate.