Sunday, January 25, 2009

Hanging out

Well it’s official. I’m hanging out with a boy. We’ve watched a movie. We’ve gone out for drinks. We’ve talked baseball. We’ve even competed in friendly competitions of fooseball and antique videogames. What more could a girl ask for? Oh, that’s right, a date.

I know what you’re thinking. You’ve read the book, you’ve had the epiphany, you’ve all but tattooed the saying onto your left buttocks, “He’s just not that into you.” Yes, it’s true that if a man is really into you, he will date you. He will not call you up that night and invite you over for a movie that neither of you can follow. He will call you days in advance, to check your availability to go to dinner, in which he will pay. I get it, yet here I am, just hanging out. And I feel fine about it.

Is it so wrong to hang out with a guy and let it play out? Is it a dishonor to womankind to not require a night at the movies? Nay. I'm a big girl, and I know what I'm doing. I'm not looking for a relationship, I'm looking for a distraction. I'm not looking for Mr. Right, I'm looking for Mr. Right Now. I'm not looking for a commitment, I'm looking for....(would it be slutty to say, a good time?) somebody to hang out with.

And I'm not entirely sure if I'm that into him. Sure he's cute, reasonably fun, and hates the Yankees. But he lacks facial hair, is slightly timid, and doesn't always get my jokes. So until I decide if I'm just that into him, my options will be kept wide open. Although I could be easily swayed if he comes through with those Fenway tickets....a girl has needs.

1 comment:

Violet said...

Funny how we spend so much time chiding, "he's just not that into you" when sometimes you're not so sure if you're into him. So kudos for "just hanging out." But be careful he doesn't turn into an imaginary boyfriend. Boyfriends of the imaginary kind are sooo 2007.