Sunday, May 16, 2010

The question of morality

I met up with Karaoke Kid and his friends on Friday night. We drank at their house. We drank at a bar. We drank at their house again. (Yes, I've been drinking a lot since moving here). Until finally, while his roommate sat playing the guitar, The Karaoke Kid passed out on the couch. It was close to 4 am at this point and I didn't want to make the long walk home. What was supposed to do?! Oh, the dilemma.

So I continued to hang out with The Roommate (cue the "uh-oh"). Not really sure how it happened but at some point I accidentally ended up spending the night. With The Roommate. In the Roommates bed. Naked. While the Karaoke Kid was in the next room. Uh-oh, indeed.

Now let me say, though my morality is questionable, it's definitely present. Or at least it finally decided to show up late in the game. We stopped short, as we both started feeling incredibly guilty. Apparently, getting into the pants of the girl your roommate/good friend is trying to get into the pants of is a no-no. And even though we are not together, and still haven't hooked up (see I do have morals!...actually I think it's KK with the morals), I was feeling really bad. Not bad enough to get dressed and leave, but bad enough to get partially dressed and continue to lay there.

The thing is, this wasn't particularly surprising. And not because it was alcohol induced. I admit I was starting to get a crush on this guy. He's just as cute as the Karaoke Kid, funnier, and he also plays the guitar. He's also flirtatiously mean to me, which for some reason I find intriguing (For example, when stating I only had maybe 3 single friends, one of which was my sister, Violet, he asked "But does she look like you? Cuz if so, I'm not interested." That definitely messed with my head, as 2 days later I was still thinking about that comment). He admitted he had a thing for me since the first time the Karaoke Kid brought me home (see Vi, he is interested!). Even so there we were, laying in bed, feeling like we were having an affair. We agreed to never speak of this to anyone (you all don't count).

To make matters worse, I had to creep by the Karaoke Kid (still asleep on the couch) to leave the apartment. After successfully unlocking and tiptoing out the door, I turn to see it slam shut behind me. I fled. 10 minutes later (still walking the walk of shame and guilt) the Karaoke Kid texts me, apologizing for passing out and asking if he had just heard me leave. Oh, the guilt.

Now what am I supposed to do?! No, seriously, tell me what I'm supposed to do. I want to still hang out with those guys but obviously this complicates things. I don't want to hurt the Karaoke Kid, nor do I want to hurt his friendship with The Roommate. I just want to hang out with them. Damn you morality, you're never on time.

6 comments:

Violet said...

Well. This is quite the pickle you've gotten yourself into isn't it?

I think you have two options. And you're not going to like either of them.
1. Cut off ties with both of them.
2. Continue to hang out with both of them, but do not make out with, hook up with, or sleep with either of them. Remain JUST FRIENDS.
3. Or the third option, go back in your time machine, and undo it.

Alcohol= bad decisions. Maybe our squeaky clean family weekend at DisneyWorld coming up is just what you need.

Fenella said...

Uh-oh indeed.

Sorry but I agree with Violet, those are your two options. (But if you come across a time machine please send it my way).

Try option number 2 but if you feel yourself attracted or wanting to do things with either of them...switch to option 1. Quickly.

Scarlet said...

This sounds like something that would happen on Grey's Anatomy. And it never ends well. The truth always comes out.

Unfortunately, I don't think you can date either one of them now. Maybe at a MUCH later date you could revisit the idea. (Assuming you choose option 2 and stay in contact with them.)

Grayer said...

Those are my only options?! I can't cut them off, they're some of my only friends in Boston. And what fun is having guy friends if I can't occasionally makeout with them?! Oh the situation I (alcohol) get myself into.

You're right though, clearly I cannot date either of them in the foreseeable future. And somehow I must make sure the Karaoke Kid knows we are only friends. Perhaps I need to take time off from those two. DisneyWorld will be an innocent distraction.

Violet said...

Please don't try to make out with Prince Charming.

Fenella said...

Agreed. Leave Prince Charming alone. You'll just corrupt him :p