Wednesday, May 26, 2010

The Conversation

It's been very nearly two months since The Cute Neighbor and I became More Than Just Friends. Very nearly two months since he told me he was interested in being more than a fake boyfriend, and very nearly two months since I shoved Fenella back into the bathroom she had just come out of in order to tell her news of this conversation while I relieved myself. (Which was, by the way, a Top 10 Moment in the History of Friendship. Not just the History of Vi and Fen's Friendship, but the History of Friendship. Ever.)

Things have been moving along swimmingly since then. There is only one thing I know I need to do, but really, really don't want to do: Have The Conversation.

The Cute Neighbor and I function like a couple. I spend the night every night. We eat dinner together every day. He even invited me out of town next month, where he will be hanging out with friends for a weekend post-conference, which means he not only invited me out of town, but he also wants me to meet all his friends. I'm excited about this, but also incredibly intimidated given that they're all PhDs, and I work as a professional baby-sitter, but more about that later.

I never even really think about this sort of thing until it's been at least three months, but I think the fact that The Cute Neighbor and I were such good friends first, and the fact that it takes 97 seconds to get from his front door to mine make for a relationship that moves a bit faster than I'm used to.

Things are going so well that I'm almost hesitant to bring up The Conversation. But other people have taken to calling him my boyfriend, and I don't know if I should correct them or not. And quite frankly, I don't WANT to, which is an improvement over anyone else I've dated recently. (Yes, I was super in to The Dark Horse, but that was an awful lot of baggage he was carrying around.)

Take this for example: Saturday morning, I was getting dressed when The Cute Neighbor looked at me in my underwear and said accusingly, "Are you losing weight?" And yes, he made it sound like an accusation. I laughed and said, "No, if anything, I'm going the other way." To which he said, "Awesome."

Awesome! He said Awesome! I told him that I might be gaining weight and he said AWESOME! How many men do that? Seriously, I can. Not. Fuck. This. Up.

So how do I do it? How do I bring up The Conversation? I want it to just come up naturally, but that's the funny thing about The Conversation. It never cooperates like that. And I know he won't bring it up, not because he's a guy, but because he's just sitting back and waiting for me to do it, just to watch me squirm. He's difficult like that. (Fen can attest to that.) So how do I do it? Help. Help. Help!

No comments: