Monday, October 18, 2010

The Singleton Sibling

Yes, Grayer is right. I have been busy snogging The White Horse. That however, is not the reason for my blog absence. Writer's block.

However, this past weekend a conversation I had with my dad helped me to well, unblock.

As it has been previously mentioned, I am the slut of my family. My parents were each other's first boyfriend / girlfriend, same goes for my brother and his girlfriend. Now, these two have been dating for awhile. Seven years.

In that time I have grown used to being 'the single one.' The most prominent example of this I can think of is when the five of us went out for dinner and I was sat on a separate (and rickety) little table. Admittedly it was touching the 'grown ups' table, but it was most definetley tacked on the end for the slut sheep of the family. Let me tell you, sometimes it can suck to be a singleton. It sucks even more to be The Singleton Sibling.

Which was brought home to me this weekend when discussing Christmas plans with my dad. Apparently, my brother and his girlfriend are thinking of spending Christmas with her family. I didn't think much of this, yes it would be nice to spend Christmas with my brother but I'm sure I'll see him soon after and it's ok because I'll be spending Christmas at home with my parents. Right? Wrong.

Me: "So it'll just be the 3 of us this year then."
Dad: "Well. Yes. Your mum and I were thinking of going to a nice country hotel, but then what would we do with you?"

Now, before you go thinking my dad is a horrible parent. He's not. My parents wouldn't dream of actually doing this and he said it in a joking way. Still, it made me feel like a bit of a spare part. Nay, a second class citizen.

Nay, a singleton sibling second class citizen. We singleton siblings do not think that we should be shoved aside, forced to cater to the plans of our smug married (my how my mother wishes they would get married) siblings. Why should we rearrange our schedules because they can't make a certain weekend? But if I can't make a certain weekend...they meet up without me. Seriously.

So here is to all singleton siblings. May you put your foot down to being shoved on a rickety table by yourself. May you insist that your plans are just as important as your smug married siblings. And may you occasionally use your singleton sibling status to guilt trip your parents - my brother gets more Christmas presents because he has a girlfriend. That's not fair...

Hurrah for singleton siblings!

4 comments:

Violet said...

I have the perfect solution- spend Christmas in the U.S. with me and Grayer and our dorky (but lovable!) parents!!!!! We have a lot of fun at Christmastime. We have heated ping pong matches and play Christmas hangman. And our mom goes nutso on the Christmas decorations, so you'll feel like you're staying in the middle of a Christmas village. It will be swell, I promise!

Grayer said...

Oh yes, do that. We never even bring boys home let alone spend Christmas with them. Christmastime is fun indeed, just be sure to leave before you have to help take down the endless decorations. Ya know, I've been looking for a new ping pong partner...

Violet said...

Excuse me?!?! What do you mean you've been looking for a new ping pong partner???? I am the greatest ping pong partner you'll ever have. Who was it that recommended you take your socks off after you slid across the floor, nearly falling and cracking your head open? ME, that's who! I don't know many other people who would have saved your life during a ping pong match!

Grayer said...

OK that's true..I don't know what I was thinking playing pong in brand new slipper socks. Just work on your backhand for pete's sake!