Sunday, October 17, 2010

Smug...singles?!?

I am in a foul mood this evening.  I just spent 3 hours at work stewing about how pissed I was being at work on a Sunday.  When I wasn't stewing about work at work, I was stewing about the conversation I had today with my two single friends, Flora and May.   They really needed to know what I did last night, so I told them.  I met up with a guy for drinks.  A guy I met on OkCupid.  I had never told them about OkCupid before, but they're my single friends who both wish they dated more so why not tell them?  Wrong.  They were judgmental and unsupportive.  What is this 2004?!? Everybody tries online dating nowadays! Everybody! 

I think I've come across the first Smug Singles I've ever known (they don't deserve the Singleton label, as that is not how singletons behave).  Let me give you a snippet of our conversation (and since this is my narrative, please give the Smug singles a stupid whiney voice):
Smug Single: OkCupid? What? How does that work?
Grayer: Like Match.com, but free, etc, etc.  I met up a with a guy last night, and I'm going to meet up with another this week.
SS: To do what?
G: What do you mean to do what?! Get drinks, or coffee or whatever.
SS: You're not even going to get dinner out of it?!
G: No you don't want to first meet them for dinner.  Drinks are best because if they're awful you can leave after one rather then sit through a painful dinner.
SS: Oh. Well, yeah I guess if you know nothing about them.
G: Well you don't just get assigned to meet them, you message back and forth first.
SS: Really?! Who messaged first with the guy from last night?
G: He did.  I've gotten a lot of messages, I only respond to some.
SS: Really?! (the shock in their voices I found to be quite insulting)

I don't need to go on and on about this stupid conversation, in which I basically had to defend myself for online dating.   Clearly they know nothing about it.  Both however, know several people that have found long-term relationships online, so what's the big shock?  I'm not desperately looking for a boyfriend, I'm just sick of hanging out with them.  Especially when Flora makes the comment that her mother met her boyfriend on Match.com but that's ok for her "because at her age how else is she supposed to meet anyone."  Wait, sorry, what are trying to say about me?  Did you just compare me with your 60 year old mother?  You haven't gone on a date since I've known you!  They're not just Smug Singles, they're Stupid Smug Singles. 

Eventually they did ask me about the guy from last night.  I neglected to tell them he was 35 (it would make them think even less of OkC) but I told them the truth otherwise, I had a good time.  Such a good time, that I stayed with him for the evening rather than meeting them out later on.  The 35-year old (this has to be his name because I won't get over the fact that he's 35) was fun and the conversation had a great flow.  He doesn't necessarily look his age but he did date himself quite a bit (oh I don't know, by saying he graduated in '98...).  And yes, he bought the drinks.  We decided to meet up again sometime after work this week.  And as for the Stupid Smug Singles, I've decided not to tell them anything else about this, as I regret that I did in the first place.  Besides, why should I tell them when I can tell you all?

2 comments:

Scarlet said...

Wow! That's annoying. I thought the stigma of online dating was basically nonexistent at this point, especially with people our age. (Even my grandma doesn't question me when I say I met a guy online...although maybe she doesn't completely understand.)

I've met way more guys online than I have the old fashion way. Glad you are trying it again. If nothing else its entertaining. (I was talking to a guy recently who was really into WWII reenacting. He revealed that he envisioned his partner portraying a journalist at reenactments and his dream was to see the WWII memorial in DC. I think that was my limit.)

Violet said...

Lame. (The Smug Singles, obviously) I didn't think there was a stigma anymore either, but apparently there is. Clearly these are not the right single friends to have.

And Scarlet, his dream is to see the WWII memorial in DC? Isn't that, like, less than an hours drive from where you live? He's not aiming very high, is he?