Saturday, October 2, 2010

The LBD

Every girl needs one. It's a staple of everyone's closet, but until yesterday, I didn't own a little black dress.

The Other Violet is getting married next weekend, so I was faced with the age-old question of what to wear? All the dresses that I own are very summery, and not appropriate for October in the mountains. I decided to find my very own LBD- preferably on clearance for about $10. Or $20, but definitely on sale.

After purchasing a wedding gift (on sale! woohoo!) I switched focus to myself. I grabbed all the black dresses I could find in my size, and set off for the dressing rooms. I started with the dresses that were indeed on clearance. Naturally, they were a bit frumpy looking and too frilly. I knew I would wear them maybe once and never again. Moving on, I picked up a dress that looked pretty slinky on the hanger, thinking there was no way it would look good actually ON me, as it was far too form-fitting. But as soon as I put it on and looked in the mirror- vaVOOM! I am pretty sure I have never looked this good in any article of clothing ever. Yes, it was slinky, but the ruching (yes, I've watched Project Runway) made it so that it wasn't showing off every flaw, but just hugging curves. I was instantly happy.

Naturally, this was the most expensive dress I picked up. I know $35 sounds like NOTHING when it comes to a dress, but I do not currently have a clothes budget. Seriously, I haven't purchased clothes for myself that weren't a necessity (i.e. tank tops, after discovering I somehow didn't really have any in order to survive the sweltering southern summer), and when I factor in a wedding gift, a night in a hotel, and gas money to get to the wedding, it adds up. I knew, however, that I couldn't leave the store without it (it was the last one in my size. Clearly it's destiny), figuring I could always take it back if necessary.

Is it acceptable to buy a new dress when you really shouldn't be buying anything? I don't have to take it back, do I?

1 comment:

Wannabe Writer said...

Don't you dare take it back! A little black dress is absolutely a necessity- like milk and breathing. Especially if it's one you can see yourself wearing again and again.

My vote: keep it!