Friday, December 18, 2009

Reaping the Benefits

You all know of the drama that's gone on with Conrad. From friend, to friend with benefits, to imaginary boyfriend, to just friends. All the change could give any girl whiplash. Add extreme stress, and I experienced no less than the emotional turmoil of hurricane proportions. I know I've sworn off Conrad. And really I have. Except that I haven't. Do I think of him as more than a friend? No. Am I interested in him as a mere Imaginary Boyfriend? Hell No. Do I still have needs? Hell to the yeah.

Conrad and I haven't been friends with benefits in two months. Not to say that there hasn't been sexual tension. Fun sexual tension. The kind of sexual tension there was in the beginning. This afternoon we had lunch "meeting" with the rest of our labmembers, all while sitting across from each other holding silent conversations with our eyes. (While waiting for everyone else to show up, he had told me how pretty my eyes were before jokingly leaning in for a kiss, puckered and all). He was in a ridiculously good mood for finishing up with his hellish graduate class and I have been equally happy for finishing my thesis. So when I went to his house to kill time before my dinner date with 8-year-Lisa (who's moving out tomorrow, how sad!) I wasn't entirely surprised when something happened. It was afterall, the first time we'd been alone together in weeks. It was just so...fun! (Action, action we love action!)

Did it mean anything? No. Are we more than just friends? No. Will it happen again? Maybe. But it doesn't matter. The point is I'm capable of being just friends with benefits. No wanting more. No caring if he hangs out with another girl. I still do not condone imaginary relationships, but I feel we are now in a healthy situation for harmless benefits. Afterall, I'm no longer stressed out and crazy (I've officially graduated and cleaned out my desk!). And when he jokingly asked me, "Does this mean you're going to get clingy?" I literally slapped him across the stomach, chatted with him while I put on the rest of my clothes, and bid him adieu. At 8 pm on a Friday night. Now that is friends with benefits.

5 comments:

Fenella said...

Congrats on graduating!!

Friends with benefits can be a really good thing. In fact, in Peru, they even have a word for this. Enormorado/a (sp?) is how they describe people who they're seeing, but not as a boyfriend/girlfriend, just as casual. We need an equivalent word!

Violet said...

I thought enamorado/a was a boyfriend/girlfriend? And that novio/a is a fiance? Friends with benefits would be amigos con benificios;) I heard conflicting reports on the novio/a term, though.

Scarlet said...

I thought novio was a boyfriend?

Violet said...

Like I said, I got conflicting reports on novio/a. First I thought it was a boyfriend, but then I was told that it was something more, with much more of a commitment, like a fiance. I think it's very fitting though that the terms are confusing, just like in life!

Fenella said...

Oh dear, I've opened a can of worms here! I think the problem that the translation between the two don't correlate. Our translation for novio/a is boyfriend/girlfriend BUT whereas we interpret boyfriend/girlfriend to mean anything from a not so serious relationship to a very serious relationship they ONLY use it for a very, very serious relationship. Enormorado/a is used for much more of a 'friends with benefits' situation. But yes, I agree with Vi, the terms of confusing, just like life!