Sunday, December 6, 2009

Son of a Stitch and Bitch

No matter how badly you might want a man this holiday season to accompany you to your holiday parties, you have to admit, there is definitely an advantage to being single this time of year: You don't have to buy a man a gift.

This is the current inner debate I'm having, and I need your help. I really didn't intend to get the Dark Horse anything for Christmas. First of all, my budget this year is about $20. That's not per person, that's my entire Christmas gift budget. Expect regifted presents and picture frames made out of popsicle sticks. Second, I didn't want to be the girl who puts a ton of thought into a gift only to get nothing in return, and end up feeling like Baby after saying "I carried the watermelon."

Now I'm thinking I should get DH something. This is based on a few things he's said this past weekend that make me think he may actually be getting me something. So after thinking about it for about 2.5 seconds, I came up with an idea to crochet him a hat.

Before you roll your eyes, let me explain.
1. He actually wears them. And looks damn cute in them.
2. He's going snowboarding after Christmas (which will extend through New Year's, leaving me without anyone to kiss at midnight AGAIN.) so it would be practical and useful.
3. My idea was confirmed this morning, when he tried to wear a hat I made out to brunch this morning. I reclaimed my hat and gave him another (complete with earflaps and llama motif, Fenella knows what I'm talking about) to take its place. For some reason, he didn't want that hat, he wanted mine, and we even had to ask out waitress if she thought he would look better in my hat or the one he was wearing. We even switched so she could make a fair assessment. I think we were her favorite costumers of the morning. Then he actually requested that I make him a hat. Actually, first he requested that I make him a tacky sweater, but I shot him down.
4. Considering my budgetary restraints, I don't think I have any other options. Aside from a picture frame made out of popsicle sticks, of course.

Here's my one hesitation: According to The Happy Hooker: Son of a Stitch and Bitch, there seems to be a curse of the hand crocheted/knitted item. You crochet/knit something for a guy, and not much later, you break up with him. So my question to you is, do I risk it?

2 comments:

Scarlet said...

If he actually said he wants a hat, then I don't know if you should worry about the curse. Plus it is probably your cheapest option for a good gift. Furthermore, your relationship with Hamburger Helper didn't end till almost a year after you finished his blanket,so there is evidence against this cure.

Violet said...

For those of you wondering, Hamburger Helper is my ex-boyfriend. Although I didn't really get the reference myself. I had actually forgotten that I had ever crocheted him anything, so thank you for the reminder on this one.