Saturday, August 8, 2009

The quest

Tomorrow I’m flying out to the Midwest to attend a conference. Though I’m a nerdy, biology-loving-lady, an entire week of symbiosis lectures, posters and presentations does not have me enthused. I’m attending with three of my labmates, who I get along with in lab, but an entire week in a new city is different. Already I think one of them is scary/crazy, another I bicker with like we’re married, and the third just started and I hardly know him. And of course our boss will be there too, keeping an eye on us. It’s bound to be a long, difficult week. This is why I’ve given myself an assignment. A quest if you will.

You’d think this quest would be to network with people in my field, to perhaps find potential employers, however, you’d be wrong. Instead, I’m on a mission to discover an elusive subspecies of human males--a hot microbiologist. Some say they don’t exist. I can only hope that they do. I thought I saw one once, last year at a conference. He was never seen again, and my sighting has been attributed to either A) a hallucination caused by exhaustion from picking up free pens all day or B) he was just a regular hot male who accidentally wandered into a microbiology conference.

This is not a large conference so chances of a sighting are slim. However, I swear to Charles Darwin that if he is out there, he will be found. I’ll report back with my scientific findings.

4 comments:

Violet said...

I find it absolutely hilarious that you think you saw one once. Good luck on your quest. Don't give up the good fight!

Grayer said...

With my quest in mind, I have realized that its an absolute pain in the arse to pack for a week to actually look good. Outfits that actually match! High heels! Hair products! Its obvious from any vacation pictures that I never go this far, as I always seem to look like hell. And its all in name of a hot scientist! (oh, right, an job prospects..)

Violet said...

I just noticed the "hot scientists" tag. Isn't that an oxymoron? Kind of like "ugly quarterback" or "interesting accountant."

Grayer said...

*A note from the road*

Now 4 days in to this never ending conference. I'm not going to steal the thunder of my scientific findings that you'll soon be seeing in my official report, but, know that I am still taking the Quest seriously. So seriously, that my travel companion Conrad (the newbie who's very cool, though young) has noticed that I check out every guy and has begun calling me out on it. As if public humiliation would hinder my Quest. Ha.