Friday, August 21, 2009

"You're Pretty" "Shut up!"

I have an unusual problem. It's a problem most women can't fathom having, and may even wish that they had. I have a really, really hard time accepting compliments. When a man tells me I'm pretty or even dares to use the word "beautiful" (gag me!) I get all squirmy and uncomfortable and never know how to respond. It didn't take The Highlander very long to catch on to this, and as a result, it's been awhile since he's dropped any of these compliments on me.

The question is why? In order to get to the bottom of this, I consulted with Grayer to ask if she had the same problem. Grayer and I come from the same parents, and as everything is a result of how you were raised, I figured I'd start with her to see if she has the same problem. She said she does have a bit of the same problem, and we can only assume we have this problem for the same reason. We came up with a few theories.
1. We're not used to hearing it. I don't want to sound completely cocky, but I don't think this is the reason. I've been complimented enough by enough different people that this just isn't the case. Moving on...
2. Overconfidence. Grayer and I have more confidence than either of us have any right to have, and as we all know, this always goes directly back to a woman's father. And we have a ridiculously awesome dad who has always been supportive and thinks the world of us. Maybe we don't like compliments because we don't need them?
3. The I Hate Romance theory. Romance in general makes me uncomfortable. I don't like talking about where we are or where we're going, unless we're on a road trip. Could probably psycho-analyze that one too, come to think of it.

So what gives? Why can I not smile graciously and say thank you, while looking up from under adorably fluttering eyelashes? Help!

2 comments:

Scarlet said...

hmm...I also feel uncomfortable with compliments sometimes. In my case, however, I've noticed that it has more to do with who is giving me the compliment and also the way compliments are delivered.

So I guess for me it is more about if I think the compliments are genuine. If it seems offhand and not like a cheesy pickup line (or worse a line they stole from a chick flick) then it is less likely to make me squirm.

Grayer said...

A guy I worked with said, "You look pretty today."
My response was "Ugh, ok, what do you want?"