Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Puppy love

My apologies. I've been a commitment-phobic, neglecting fuckwitt when it comes to this blog. But baby, I can change (we've heard that one before). I am sitting at my desk (for the first time in say, 2 years?) with my laptop at the window and I am totally channeling Carrie Bradshaw. (Did Carrie Bradshaw have a cat draped across her laptop repeatedly hitting keys?).

I have recently undergone a major life change, in the fact that I have become surrogate mommy to an adorable, energetic, 2-year-old dog. While my roommate/best friend (or life partner as I tell unattractive/unavailable strangers) goes off to work for a week at a time, I have my very own pup and the perks are endless. Let me tell you, when you have a dog not only do you not need a boyfriend (like usual) but you don't have time for a boyfriend. Taking him for walks, going to the park, and playing on the beach is honestly filling up my free time and I'm loving it.

First of all, although ladies swear its a great way to meet men, I have yet to have such luck. I've decided I must get away from the closest (and best) dog park in my town, full of middle-aged couples, and go to the next town over which boasts a high population in young professionals. Even if I'm not meeting hot men, I'm still getting out of the house, having conversations with strangers and having a good time. And those are some of the primary rules of being a happy, healthy singleton!

As happy of a singleton as I am, it's nice to have someone to come home to, to have someone that needs you. Although my dog-like cat has always greeted me at the door and needed me, the dog is much more emotional about it. Think about it, who else would sit around waiting for you to come home and be sooo excited when that finally happened. It's obvious he absolutely adores me and I can only return the love. He's always willing to cuddle with me, to lay at my feet, and even let me spoon with him (sometimes I just want to spoon!). And it's nice to wake up to someone, even if it's a big black nose just inches from yours. My heart was filled with glee the morning I woke up to find the dog and the cat sleeping on my bed and actually touching.

Tonight I strolled along the beach watching a gorgeous sunset while my pup ran circles around me. This is the second time this week we've done that, and I still absolutely love it. I have not found myself wishing anyone to be with me nor have I wished I was doing something else. With him, I am perfectly content. I have often thought I would spend my impending spinsterhood as a crazy cat lady. Though I still love my cat to death, and I should have named him Trouble, I'm now seeing that a dog may be exactly what we need to complete our happy little family. Either way, I'm sure to be crazy.

2 comments:

Violet said...

My roommate's cat (who I've begun calling "our" cat) and I are excellent spooning partners. You may wonder how it's possible to spoon with a cat, but I assure you, it is possible.

Scarlet said...

I agree dogs are the greatest! I can always count on my puppy to greet me when I get home. I'm not sure humans are capable of the level of enthusiasm that she displays.

While my dog is an excellent ice breaker at the park, I have given into the reality...she is cuter than me. People only have eyes for her.