Saturday, February 27, 2010

Taking the online plunge

It is a woman's prerogative to change her mind. Which I've done. I was very wary of internet dating. I didn't want to try it and didn't like the idea of filling in little boxes about myself. Then one day I was off sick and bored and I decided to see what dating sites were out there. Just out of curiosity you understand.

While researching I came across a site which instantly appealed to me. It's called My Single Friend and I have linked the site in case you're curious. The difference with this site is that rather than you writing about yourself and making yourself sound fantastic, a friend does it for you. You fill out all the basic information- height, city, employed status, etc. you get a friend to write a description and then you write a response. My type of site.

I mentioned it to Vi who agreed this had potential. And because Vi knows me really well and has a way with words I enlisted her help. She wrote a lovely and witty description and now ladies I am on a dating site.

And it's fun.

There are different things that can be done:

1. I can add guys to my favourites and they can add me to theirs
2. There are 'mutual favourites'
3. I can email guys and they can email me
4. And finally, Vi's favourite- she can recommend guys to me. She is loving the meddling opportunities!

So far I've had about 16 guys add me as their favourites, some have looked promising. Others I've deleted pretty much straight away. It's bringing out my ruthless side. I have 3 mutual favourites and 6 emails. One email consisted of: 'Hey, you've got an interesting profile? where do you work?' Um...no. However, one particular email was really, really good and made me laugh. A lot. I'm trying to formulate a response.

I'm not yet thinking about actually meeting up with someone. I'm taking it in baby steps. But my conclusion so far? Loving it.

4 comments:

Violet said...

I think this dating site is a fantastic idea, and I wish we had it Stateside! And yes, I love that I can log on and peruse the selection for Fenella. Although, please send a few of those my way ;) And yes, the description I wrote is some of my best work. (Of course, you give me a lot to work with!) If I had one, I would totally add it to a portfolio or something.

Grayer said...

I would definitely try this if they had it in the states. I want to know how Violet described you!!

Fenella said...

For your enjoyment, Vi's masterpiece:

If I could date Fenella myself, I would. Girls like her don't come around everyday, after all. It may be cliché to say that she's smart, pretty, and funny, but it's true. We met while teaching English in South America, so not only does she have a firm grasp on the English language (but doesn't have an annoying habit of correcting grammar!) but is also interesting and open to new cultures and experiences. Not to mention the fact that she moved to another country without knowing the language or anyone there. She's gutsy! She is also humble and down-to-earth. You can't travel and live in places where hot water is a luxury and be a pampered princess!

I think it speaks volumes of her that we have been able to maintain such a high level of friendship even though we are on different continents. She's my biggest fan, always cheering me on, but she's also not afraid to tell me when I'm being an idiot. Who doesn't need someone like that in their life?

Grayer said...

Nice! I would date you Fen.