Saturday, February 13, 2010

Twister Champion

Last night, a friend of mine had a birthday party. And since her birthday fell on the same day as the Opening Ceremonies, she had an Olympic-themed party, and requested that she see a lot of spandex and sequins. As soon as I got the invite, I texted the cute neighbor, and told him we should go as ice dancers. He not only responded with a yes, but suggested that we go tanning and choreograph a routine. And that is why we are friends.

We went all out. I managed to find a sparkly leotard (with snaps in the crotch!) and a ruffly black skirt to go over it. I bought shiny pantyhose, French braided my hair, wore waaaay too much make-up: rouge, lipstick, eyeshadow, the works. Cute neighbor wore my black pants, so they were a bit shiny and super-snug (didn't leave much to the imagination), and a billowy-white shirt, ala Brian Boitano. I put some blush on him too, and then the kicker: We wore matching sparkly headbands. He looked like something straight out of Riverdance, but our costumes were excellent. We even practiced our bows.

The party was in jeopardy, as it was snowing an actual, legitimate snowfall, and it never does that here. They don't even have snowplows, so it's best to stay inside when that happens, but I had purchased a sparkly leotard, dammit! I was going even if I had to cross-country ski there!

We made it safely, but when we walked in the door, I noticed an extreme lack of spandex and sequins. Everyone was wearing jeans and sweaters. Not a single speed-skater or hockey player in sight. I mean, shouldn't there at least be a couple of snowboarders? That's simple enough. Had it not been for the cute neighbor, it would have been exactly like Bridget Jones when she walked into the tarts and vicars party dressed as a playboy bunny only to find out they had canceled the theme and everyone is wearing country casuals.

But the cute neighbor and I were not about to sulk in the corner in a borrowed floral print dress. We embraced it. We posed for goofy pictures. We owned it. I even played Twister in my skating costume, and was the undisputed gold-medalist, as I won all 5 games we played. (I'm incredibly bendy. How is it that I'm so single?) The cute neighbor and I made an excellent team off the ice as well, and dominated Cranium. It was a good time.

However, the party was not all gold medals and congratulatory bouquets. There was a couple there who were way too affectionate with each other. Like nuzzling her neck kind of affectionate. The kind that make you feel incredibly awkward to be in the same room. But the most jaw-dropping moment came when they left the party. He got her coat. Fine. He helped her put it on. Old-school, but fine. Then he ZIPPED IT UP FOR HER. WTF? Is this woman incapable of zipping up her own coat? I zipped up Eloise's coat before we went outside to play in the snow, but she's 5! I made eyes at the cute neighbor and jerked my head in their direction so he could witness it too. He burst out laughing. Then he said something to me in a far-too-loud whisper, asking me if I needed him to help me button up my coat when it was time to leave. I mean, seriously. Seriously?

And now I'm the owner of a sparkly leotard. Perhaps the cute neighbor and I will be Torvill and Dean for Halloween?

1 comment:

Scarlet said...

Way to rock the leotard! I agree, zipping up your girl friend's coat is definitely crosses some line.

On Millionaire Matchmaker she tells the guys that when they are on a date they should order for the woman. I found myself wondering if there are really women out there that want this.