Sunday, November 15, 2009

From Zero to Crushing Disappointment in 3 Seconds Flat

Funny how life can go from happily cruising along to terribly, horribly wrong in no time flat, isn't it? Until about 10:00 this morning, I was having a stellar weekend. Then crushing disappointment set in. Let's back it up a bit...

On Friday night, the Dark Horse and I went salsa dancing. I like to salsa dance. Dark Horse had told me that he is a white man through and through and cannot dance at all. Still, it was his suggestion that we go on Friday. He said he would go and make a fool out of himself a few times before handing me over to someone who could actually dance. I was v. excited about our Friday night date, and even more excited when he said that he was excited that I was excited. It turned out to be an excellent night. I found out he really wasn't kidding when he said he couldn't dance, but it was just so damn cute that he got out there and did his best to twirl me around a few times. I really wasn't interested in dancing with anyone else. And when he found another guy talking to me when he got back from the bathroom, he put his arm around my waist to let the guy know I wasn't there alone. All was well.

It continued to be a good night all the way until early the next afternoon. That's when I took a deep breath, and told him that I wasn't interested in any imaginary boyfriends, so was he planning on becoming one? He said he didn't plan on becoming an imaginary boyfriend. All was well.

That evening, I went around to his place (for the first time). We made dinner and watched a movie. (Say Anything, on Fenella's advice) We went to bed. All was well. In the morning, he made me scrambled eggs and an English muffin for breakfast. We went back to bed, and spent a lazy Sunday morning goofing off and laughing a lot. All was really well.

Then in a lull in conversation, he said, "So Violet. If you're not interested in an imaginary boyfriend, what are you interested in?" I couldn't very well tell him that I want a wedding gown (Say Yes to the Dress is a guilty pleasure of mine...) and a baby or two, so after a few false starts, I simply explained that if it wasn't going to go anywhere, then it just shouldn't be happening. That's when he said, "Well, I can't say I'm looking for anything serious right now."

The music came to a screeching halt. My face got really hot, and I had that burning, sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach when something really awful has happened, and you know that no matter what happens, it can't be undone.

I didn't say anything for a awhile. Then I had to listen to him tell me how much he likes me and how much he really likes what we have. But there's always a "but." Always. He went on to explain that when we first met many months ago that he had been with someone for about a year when she got transferred overseas. They tried the long-distance thing, but that of course doesn't work out. He still talks to her though, regularly. Then he used that phrase "emotionally available" in reference to his not being it.

The entire time, I kept thinking, "This cannot be happening, this CANNOT be happening." I mean, how many times in my life do I have to hear "you're really great, but..." I mean, I was beginning to compare him to a real-life Jim Halpert. He's sweet, he's goofy and hilarious. And tall! And now he's pulling this emotionally unavailable bullshit on me?

He repeated again that he really likes what we have, and was there any chance we could just be casual? And this is where I did myself proud. I told him that I think he's kind of awesome, and that I just like him too much to be casual. Then I got up, put my clothes on, told him not to call me until he figures things out, and left. Hoorah!

Okay, so it wasn't quite that dramatic. But that's essentially what happened. As I was getting up to put my clothes back on, he asked if this meant that he shouldn't call me until he figures things out. I told him that would be for the best. I mean, the easiest thing in the world would be to say that things can continue the way they are. But this CRUSHING DISAPPOINTMENT that I'm feeling now would be increased ten-fold if he didn't change his mind in a month or two. And what self-respecting man would want a real girlfriend when he can have an imaginary one? We parted on good terms; with a joke or two and a hug and a kiss good-bye (because damn is he one fine kisser...)

I managed to hold it together on the way home. I think I was probably still in shock that something so promising had yet again gone so terribly awry. But when I got home to my empty house, I knew that I needed a friend and a hug, so I called McNerdy. He had plans for the afternoon, but when he heard how upset I was, he postponed them and came right over. That's when I let myself shed a few tears. But only a few, and more because someone was so willing to drop everything for me. He listened and gave me the obligatory "You're wonderful, smart, funny, and beautiful. You'll be fine" speech. To which my response was "Look how much good that's done me." Because really, girls like us do not come around every day, and when we do, men need to get their shit together! McNerdy also reminded me of the advice I gave him not long ago: The best way to get over someone is to get under somebody else. Sometimes, I give pretty good advice. I think this would be a good time to be my usual charming self with that cute neighbor...

While going through this whole sordid tale with Fenella, I received a text message from the Dark Horse himself. He told me that karma is a bitch, as he had just been forced to call poison control after getting some chemical in his eye. At least he recognizes that he wronged me. I mean, if you're only looking for something casual shouldn't you say that? Do I really have to make my intentions known that early? Will this ever get easy? Does anyone have answers?

4 comments:

Grayer said...

I'm really sorry to hear this. I know how excited you were about him. Congratulations on having "the talk" before you were already in too deep. I'm very proud of you for standing your ground. Stay strong and don't give in!

Just think, by next week you'll be hanging with your favorite sister (me), watching awful movies, and speaking ill of any man you has ever wronged us! What's a holiday without bitterness and disappointment anyways?

P.S. Mom just asked me if they were going to get to meet Conrad. Ugh.

Violet said...

I'm proud of myself for standing my ground. Doesn't mean I don't need the reassurance that I did the right thing, though...

Trust me, a trip up north to team up with you and cream the rest of the fam in board games and drool over Jacob and Edward (one week!) could not come at a better time. Can't wait!

P.S. I get to meet Conrad, right?

Grayer said...

You'll meet him, but I can't promise you'll get to hang out with him. You'll find him hilarious I'm sure!

Fenella said...

I want to meet Conrad!

Vi you know my opinion on this situation. However, I did tell a friend of mine the story (you remained nameless) and her reaction went something along the lines of:

"Men suck."

I think that covers this topic!