Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Always Look at the Bright Side of Life

It's been two days since my CRUSHING DISAPPOINTMENT, and I think I've done pretty well. I may half-expect him to call or show up at my door, but I know that only happens in movies. I've avoided calling or texting him, even though there's been more than one occasion where I would have last week to tell him something funny or amusing that had happened. Yes, I think I'm doing pretty well.

In order to continue doing well, I've made a list of all the reasons why this is a good thing. The list so far:
1. He is divorced with a child. Yes, I really, really liked him, but do I really want to be someone's second wife? Or stepmother? This reason alone is worth a lot of points, so I'm going to focus on it.
2. He snores. And I'm a light sleeper and insomniac. Not a good combination.
3. His bed is uncomfortable. There is seriously a ditch in the middle.
4. This crushing disappointment will get me into really great shape. I've gone on some of my best runs of the year, powered by emotional stress. On top of that, I haven't had much of an appetite at all. My nervous stomach, which I didn't know I had until I became an adult and learned the meaning of emotional stress, makes all food unappetizing. Haven't been able to eat much besides fruit and toast since. At this rate, I'll fit into my skinny pants by Friday. (Come to think of it, I didn't have much of an appetite on Friday or Saturday either. AND I forced my students to listen to "Total Eclipse of the Heart" over and over again on Friday. Once upon a time I was falling in love, now I'm only falling apart... Hmm, coincidence or scary premonitions? Must pay closer attention to this in the future.)

In order to take my mind off things, I threw myself into softball last night, getting myself all muddy and bruised and bloody. Does that make me weird that it felt good to get bruised and battered? Or is it just that the physical pain takes your mind off the emotional kind? I've also invited my cute neighbor to trivia tomorrow night (that's pub quiz to you Fenella), and he accepted. There it is, the road to recovery. My knee however, will be scarred for awhile.

3 comments:

Grayer said...

Yay for moving on! I'm not a stress eater either and have hardly been eating for the past 2 weeks. And I've been going to spinning and aerobics classes. See, emotional stress does a body good!

Fenella said...

Both of you start eating please.

Violet said...

Don't worry, appetite didn't stay away for long. Entered phase two by Tuesday evening, while eating nutella and watching Grey's Anatomy reruns.