Sunday, November 29, 2009

Love is just a click away...

Internet dating. I've not tried it and I don't want to. Please don't be offended by this statement.

Let me start by explaining that Violet has informed me of the popularity of internet dating on your side of the pond, and it sounds great. I've loved hearing of Violet's experiences with the whole thing (even if she hasn't loved experiencing some of them) and it has intrigued me.

Here's the problem. I don't live on your side of the pond. I live on Bridget's side of the pond. We're always a few steps behind you with pretty much everything: we get movies two months after you do, they've only just finished showing series two of Brothers & Sisters and I think I can sum it up by saying that cupcakes are the 'new thing'. I despair sometimes. My point is, internet dating hasn't reached the same heights. There are commericals for it on TV, more people are doing it, but that stigma of 'you only do internet dating thing if you're old and desperate' hasn't quite faded yet. Once again, please don't be offended!

For a few months now I've been considering trying it, but I keep putting it off. The first thing was I'd wait until I passed my driving test. Afterall, who wants their dad dropping them off for a date? (I do realise that ideally the guy would pick me up, but just in case.) So I passed my test. Then I'd wait until I moved out. Afterall, who wants their mum peering out the net curtains watching as you say goodbye to your date (yes, we have net curtains.) So I've moved out. Now I'm waiting until I get a place of my own. But I know that once that happens I'll just put it off again and again and again...

The thing is, none of my friends (in the UK) are doing it. And I think this is the type of thing you need your friends to be doing as well so you can compare notes. Once again, I'm making excuses. I came close to starting a profile once but I just didn't know where to start with summing up my personality, hobbies, likes and dislikes in little boxes. I broke out into a cold sweat at the thought of agreeing to meet a guy and waiting in a bar somewhere pretending to text someone while fearing that I was going to be stood up. I had images of meeting a guy who claimed to be 6"2 but typed '6' instead of '5' claiming that his finger slipped. (NB there's nothing wrong with guys who are 5"2, but I'm 5"8.) Needless to say, I didn't get past the registration page.

And so, once again on WWBD?, I'm appealing for your advice and words of wisdom. I'm willing to try it, but maybe I should wait until the new year...

3 comments:

Violet said...

First of all, it's good to know my dating experiences have at least been entertaining for third party observers :P (Yes, I realize the hilarity now of the Walkie Talkie incident.) Second, don't feel pressured to enter the world of online dating. I'm not insulted that there's still a stigma on it in the UK. If I'm completely honest, I still have a stigma about it. But then again, I met the Dark Horse in a bar. Twice. So which is worse? There's no need to rush into it, especially if you're trying to get yourself settled into a new city. Once you do that, though, it can be good for getting back your mojo.

Also remember that since you are so young, and there is that stigma over there, you may not have a lot of age-appropriate options. Just a heads up!

I wonder what Bridget would have done with internet dating? Now THAT would have been entertaining!

Grayer said...

Eeek. I don't blame you at all for being hesitant. I know I'm closer to your age and living in the US, and even I will not do internet dating right now. Maybe I would if my friends were doing it, but seeing that they are all in serious committed waiting-for-a-ring relationships, I don't see that happening unless I get new friends.

Maybe online dating is too extreme for you right now. The best thing you can do is get out and meet people, even if it's in a bar. You will never meet a guy by sitting in your pajamas at home!

Scarlet said...

I've tried online dating as well. I think that it is a good option for people who feel that they aren't meeting any eligible bachelors in their daily lives. That being said, if your heart isn't in it, then I don't think you should feel pressured to do it.

I agree with Grayer. Online dating isn't the only way to meet men. You should get out of the house! Do you have meetup.com in the UK? I've met a lot of great friends through meetup.