Monday, November 9, 2009

The curse of the drunk dial

A couple of weeks ago I drank far too much wine. Well maybe it wasn't too much wine but it was too much to drink when all I had eaten that day was a bagel. Smart, Fenella, real smart. So there I am, in a pub having a fully animated conversation with my friend when I got the stupid idea to ring my ex-boyfriend. Don't worry, not ex-boyfriend Fergus but my other ex-boyfriend. We broke up over two years ago, it was amicable and I haven't really thought about him, I certainly don't miss him. So why the decision to call him? Let's blame the wine.

As if drunk dialling my ex wasn't bad enough, it wasn't just a five minute catch up conversation it was at least 20 minutes. The actual amount of time is a little hazy because of, well you know, the wine. And as if a 20 minute conversation wasn't bad enough, the topics of conversation were even worse because of, well you know, the wine. The next morning I text him just to apologise for ringing him when he kindly informed me of what we actually talked about. I thought it was about interviews and jobs. But no. I told him things I should not have told him, mainly things about Fergus. I may have also said that he's good looking. (He is good looking, but I didn't need to tell him that). And there were other things, but I would like to retain some of my dignity let's not go there.

Yes it was a stupid thing to do and yes it was embarassing. But the worst of it is that now my ex keeps contacting me. I've told him to please stop contacting me so much, and that I honestly have no feelings towards him whatsoever. But he's still texting. I hate cell phones sometimes.

The moral of this story? Don't drink when all you've had to eat is a bagel. And if you do, leave your cell phone at home.

2 comments:

Violet said...

I think 20 minutes exceeds the requirements of a drunk dial. After you hit 15, it needs a new name. Suggestions?

Fenella said...

Hmmmm...the extremely drunk dial? I don't know if I'm the best case for creating a new name. You know me, once I get chatting it's difficult for me to stop, no matter who I'm talking to!