Friday, December 18, 2009

Oh the weather outside is frightful, but the fire is so delightful...

It would appear that I am finally getting my act together re: having a social life. Vi and I noticed that the 'normal, funny guy' (Vi's words) we met when we were in Buenos Aires is now living in London and Vi suggested that I contact him to meet up for a drink, which I did, and we agreed to meet up yesterday. Now in my experience when you meet up with people who you met travelling or in other 'extreme' situations it can go one of two ways. The first: it's really awkward and you realise very quickly that you don't really have much in common and you wonder how quickly you can bring the evening to a close without appearing rude. The second: it's great! There's no awkwardness and you're really pleased that you made the effort to get back in touch.

Well within two minutes of meeting up with Welsh Willy (thanks Vi for helping think of a GREAT nickname!) I realised that it was going to be the second way.

At this point, Vi suggests that I simply copy and paste some of the email I wrote to her last night having got back at gone midnight and quite a bit worse for wear. So for entertainment value then I will, with a few interjections of the sober variety.

So...the evening began in Putney (Sober interjection: little suburb very close to central London.) I met Welsh Willy at the train station. It was very friendly and straight away I realised it was going to be the non-awkward kind of meeting up with people you travelled with. We went to a pub. We had a drink. We chatted. We then decided to go to another pub. We had a drink. We chatted. When we left the second pub to get something to eat the weather was horrible. Freezing snow stuff falling sideways with such a force it was ridiculous. (SI: the weather here in the UK has been very, very cold and snowy. WW and I decided that we were going to only go to pubs which had fires going in the fireplace). We went to another pub. Had food and wine. Still chatted. We went to a fourth pub, had a drink. He checked the times of the trains on his phone for me to get home, we decided what train I was going to get. I missed that train (still in pub). We were having a random conversation about him becoming the mayor of Putney.

When we left the pub to get my train, because I really had to get this train, I linked my arm through his because a.) it was very windy and b.) I was a little tipsy (but still totally compus mentus). So we get the station and we have 5 mins to spare before my train. Then for some reason we're hugging while we're waiting for the train. Don't ask me why, it just happened. Then I said that I had to go for my train because it was due in 2 mins. So...I kiss him on the cheek, we say goodbye, then we start kissing. Once again, don't ask me why. It was a pretty intense kiss for a train station (but it was late so barely anyone there!) Then I keep saying that I really need to get my train, he keeps saying he knows, but we're still kissing, it was all very random.

So that was my email that Vi found very entertaining apparently! Now on the one hand, I like the total randomness of the evening, and he was a very good kisser which was just a bonus. But I'm worried about falling into the trap of obsessing about whether he's going to get in contact with me, what did it mean to him, etc. Which is bad, very bad. So I'm going to try very hard not to, because, I've decided that one of my new year's resolution is to try out The Four Man Plan...so you never know, it could be one down and only three to go...

5 comments:

Violet said...

Of the (very odd) assortment of men we met in Buenos Aires, Welsh Willy was indeed the funny, normal one. And cute. Which is why I kind of wanted to snog him at the time. (I was having a dry spell, based on my lack of guapo points, you know.) But I'm v. excited that you had the opportunity to snog him!

Grayer said...

Way to go Fen! I can totally understand how those series of events digressed. Oh, alcohol, you sneaky helper you. Hoorah for making out in public places!

Fenella said...

Hoorah indeed! I feel like I'm finally having fun in London...

Oh and Vi? How could you not tell me about wanting to snog WW when we were in BA?! I could've totally made myself scarce!!

Violet said...

Why didn't I snog Welsh Willy? Oh, I don't know, maybe because I had been traveling for months, hadn't showered, washed my hair, or laundered my clothes regularly in that time. Oh, and I had left my mojo in Quito 8 months earlier. Needless to say I wasn't my usual confident self!

P.S. Snog is such a much cooler word than "make-out"! I propose we use this exclusively.

Scarlet said...

Yay Fenella! Good to hear you got some action AND from a hot guy! I'm looking forward to hearing about the other 3 guys! :-P