Sunday, December 27, 2009

The Prosthetist

I hope everyone is enjoying the holiday season and thinking about your new year's resolutions! Violet and I have been spending some serious family bonding time this week at our parents. This bonding time includes a Next Top Model marathon (Girl, that was fierce!), playing cards, watching movies, readings of Nightlight (a Twilight parody) and an intense game of family ping-pong, which lasted 5 sets and me almost cracking my head off the table (Damn you, new slipper socks on tile flooring!). Oh, and Vi, if you don't work on your forehand for next year, I will be asking for a trade.

I take a pause in this blog writing session as my mother leans over my chair wanting to see what I'm up to. Quickly switching to my other tab, as I have come to expect this, she makes me scroll slowly through my FB Home wanting to see "what's new on Facebook" before requesting to see my page. Again.

Anyways, Violet and I went out last night. Yes, Violet actually went out in our hometown! Not sure if she actually enjoyed herself, but, she did meet the subject of this post, The Prosthetist. The Prosthetist is a guy I know through my friend Greenley (He's actually been in love with her for I don't know? 5 years?). He lives 2 and 1/2 hours from me, which is conveniently located directly on my way back to our hometown. In August, I actually tagged along with him on a trip home. After driving 10 hours alone together in a pick up truck with no A/C, we got to know each other better. And of course, we talked of Greenley. He's a super nice guy, cute, has a beard, comes from a good family and will make very good money in the near future (As a prosthetist, obviously). Last night, he came out to meet Greenley and I. We exchanged pleasantries and updates, and talked about me visiting him during my upcoming vacation time (i.e. unemployment). He agreed to give me snowboarding lessons and visit me if I moved to the city. Violet and The Prosthetist chatted frequently as neither of them knew many of the people we were with. Shortly after Vi took off, he did too, telling him to call me if I needed a ride home. He's a nice guy like that.

Then he ruined it. About 20 minutes after leaving he started texting me. And through that conversation he started coming on to me. Coming on strong. It wasn't subtle, he is obviously not a student of the art of flirtexting. Thinking that maybe this was a result of the few beers he had been drinking, I kind of went along with it, as I had been drinking beers too. It wasn't until this morning when I looked back at what he sent me and realized how forward and awkward it was. And then he texted me today. Apologizing for what he said last night, but that he still meant the context of it. And that when I stop by and see him on my way back up North, maybe I can stay and hang out a while? Oh goodness.

This is just another example of how boys ruin everything. What am I supposed to do now? I can't visit him/get snowboarding lessons without it being awkward. As now he is clearly into me. Has he realized that if he can't have Greenley, he could just go for her best friend, the next best thing? Ugh. Boys ruin everything.

2 comments:

Violet said...

Perhaps I will make "improving my table tennis forehand" one of my New Year's Resolutions. I did just play a few games with dad in order to practice said forehands. He crushed me, but it wasn't my fault. We had several lightening-fast, Forrest Gump-style rallies. Had I been playing with a normal person who occasionally made a bad return, I would have won.

I didn't not enjoy myself, I just feel uncomfortable in a room with that many graduates of our high school. As for the subject of this post, I would advise you to stay away. He's been in love with your best friend for ages, nothing good can come of this. Why do boys have to ruin everything?

Fenella said...

Remember: drink and phones just don't mix. Ever.

Why do boys have to ruin everything?