Monday, October 4, 2010

Oh, you shouldn't have!.... but do go on....

When a young lady is single, birthdays can be tricky. Some years, you can spend the majority of your day alone, especially if it's a weekend. Sure, you go out with friends for a bit, but you still come home to an empty house/apartment. Planning something for yourself can be a bit tricky as well, since by nature we don't usually like to throw parties in our own honor. Letting everyone know where you will be for birthday dinner/drinks is generally a good idea. You don't have to worry about a party or a clean-up, or stress if people will show up or not.

That's why I was a little blown away this morning when I received an email from Rebecca. I knew it was a doozy before I even opened it, mostly because I also had an email from the cute neighbor, subject line: "Rebecca's email."

At first, I merely skimmed it, and got what I thought was the gist: Rebecca is turning 30, and to celebrate herself, she has planned 30 events for the month of October. Wow. A bit over-the-top, but whatever.

Then I looked a bit more closely. Rebecca hasn't planned a single thing for the month of October, besides telling people where to meet her for dinner and/or drinks on her birthday. No, she wants the 80 recipients of the email to plan things FOR her. She encouraged everyone to be creative and to think of wonderful ways to celebrate her during the month. Then she actually gave suggestions: from going out for birthday drinks to throwing a swanky party to popping out of a birthday cake (naked!) as a delightful surprise. She encouraged everyone to be creative, and as incentive, is offering to award prizes at the end of the month for most creative, most special, most silly [sic], most romantic, etc.

Am I overreacting or is this just obnoxious?

It sounds to me like the things she mentioned are all things she wants to do, and instead of taking the initiative to actually plan them, she's telling people to plan them for her. Note: You cannot throw yourself a surprise party. It's impossible.

So I need opinions on this one: Am I overreacting? Am I letting my past annoyances get in the way of my opinion? Should this be encouraged? Or just ignored?

2 comments:

Grayer said...

Being single on your birthday can suck if you live alone. But that doesn't mean this is exceptable. Maybe for your actual birthday but for a birthday month? To 80 people?Get over yoursef! Out of curiosity what did the cute neighbor have to say?

Violet said...

He had the same reaction I did: That it was an obnoxious, self-centered, narcissistic thing to do, and that it would be more likely to actually turn people OFF to doing something nice for her birthday. With that being said, we're still meeting her for drinks tomorrow night. But no dinner, and no popping out of a cake.