Saturday, October 23, 2010

The Conversation: The Result

On Wednesday night I had drinks with my softball team. Due to the season ending in August it was the first time we'd all got together since the season ended, and the first time we'd all got together since The White Horse and I have got together. I figured it was going to be an interesting evening.

Now, as you all know, TWH and I met through our work softball team, not through work itself. These are all people we both know really well and get on with, and I thought this could be a good opportunity to let people know that the two of us were now more than just friends. The night before I had tried to mention this to TWH but he being a guy didn't really take the bait and I didn't want to push it and come across as all desperate.

Fast-forward to Wednesday evening, I'm two drinks in and feeling a little irritated. We're sat apart, not talking and acting like the past two months haven't happened. *Disclaimer: I didn't want to make a big deal about us. I didn't want to make a big announcement and I certainly didn't want the two of us acting all couply in the bar. All I wanted was my friends to find out, in a subtle way so that I wouldn't have to lie about my social plans like I've had to. TWH walks over and I tell him that I don't this, that it's weird. He agreed and said that he doesn't mind people knowing, he just didn't want to make a big deal out of it. I said that I didn't want to make a big deal out of it either, I just have more friends at work than he does. All of his friends know about me (even his mum knows about me now apparently) but my friends don't know about him because of the whole 'we work together thing' and I don't think that's fair, because let's be honest, girls like to talk.

I think I got my point across. As the evening wore on we gradually acted in more of a couple manner (nothing icky) and people found out, nothing was said and it was all very non-dramatic. As it should be. Later on in the evening (probably 5 drinks in by now) I was speaking to TWH and one of our friends came over to say goodbye because he had to meet his girlfriend. I started asking questions about his girlfriend only for him to respond: "And what about your new boyfriend Fenella? How long have you been with him?" Awkward...didn't he know that TWH and I haven't had The Conversation?! I managed to fend off the question by saying that I was doing the asking, not him.

On the train home I said to TWH that I didn't answer the boyfriend question because we hadn't had the whole boyfriend / girlfriend conversation. (Oh vodka, how I love the confidence you give me). TWH said that we could have the conversation now. I said OK.

TWH: So, you're my girlfriend right?
Me: Yes

And they say romance is dead. So there you have it. I guess TWH now falls into the ACTUAL BOYFRIEND category. Huh.

P.S. And might I just say, the action that you get after having The Conversation? If only you could have The Conversation more than once in a relationship.

1 comment:

Grayer said...

Fenella has a boooyfriend! Huzzah. I love how so much time is spent worrying about having The Conversation and then you have it and its no big deal, whatsoever.

And now I'm the only Singleton on a Singleton blog?! How the heck did that happen? The pressure is on! (to stay single of course, no problem there).