Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Random Thoughts on Nothingness

We've been pretty quiet this month. I can't speak for all of us (although I probably can, I'm the only one who actually knows everyone), but I've got absolutely nothing going on. Grayer is in the process of moving to a new city, Fenella just started online dating, and I don't even have a reliable booty call, seeing as he's never available. In fact, when Fenella comes to visit me in 3 weeks (eeek! Just 3 weeks!) she is going to help me find a new booty call. It is henceforth being called Operation: Papa Smurf. (Don't ask us why. We don't really know.) Although a few weeks ago, a couple of guys taught me how to play backgammon at a bar (no idea how that happened either), but that never amounted to anything. I mean, assuming they were both single (which I don't actually know), there were two of them and one of me. Apparently they didn't rock-paper-scissors for me while I was in the ladies'. So yeah. Nothing.

Yes, I know the Italian Dreamboat handed me his number, but I dealt with that the same way I deal with all awkward situations: I avoided it. I didn't call him, and I never gave him any explanation. Do I really need to? I never asked for his number. He can't understand anything I say anyway.

And speaking of reasons why I'm still single, the cute neighbor gave me something to think about last week. Over dinner, (which we've started doing with alarming frequency. I see him more now than I would an actual boyfriend, we're even road tripping this weekend), we were discussing, or maybe I was complaining about, men I've dated in the past. To which the cute neighbor said, "Since I've known you, I've heard about what you don't want in a man. What is it that you want?"

I seriously could not think of a decent answer. After "funny" I just kind of blanked. I mean, obviously I have preferences, like well-educated and good hygiene, but while I've written lists of dealbreakers, I've never written down dealmakers. I just always figured I would know it when I saw it. Right?

So far, that's all I've got: Funny, well-educated and good hygiene. Oh, and someone who can deal with the car. And money. I'm as much a feminist as the next woman, but having to deal with the car and do my own taxes are two of the worst things about being a grown-up.

Despite my romantic hibernation and cluelessness about what it actually is I'm looking for, I'm optimistic about finding something soon. Spring is here, and that means people will be out more. I think it's safe to declare St. Patrick's Day as the official start to the Spring Dating Season. I'll be playing softball again, which always helps the meeting process, and I have no doubt that Operation: Papa Smurf will be a success.

4 comments:

Fenella said...

I love smurfs.

Grayer said...

Does this mean you have sexual fantasies about Papa Smurf?

Wow we have been quiet this month. I've been commuting for the past 2 weeks and spending my time packing. Once I move this weekend I will recommit myself to the good cause of WWBD? I don't know, working with all these science nerds I'm feeling another Quest coming on!

And that's a great point, we know what we don't want, what don't we know what we do want?!

Violet said...

I have absolutely no sexual fantasies regarding Papa Smurf. Besides. It was Fen's idea. :P

Fenella said...

Yeah I think I drank way too many vodka and cranberries last night...we had a conversation the other day at work about smurfs and the idea snowballed from there. I personally think it's a brilliant code :p

We have been quiet! I will blog later as meeting up with someone from the dating site this evening...

P.S. I too have no sexual fantasies regarding Papa Smurf!