Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Throwing in the Cyber Towel

Just under a month ago I signed up for online dating. At first, I found it lots of fun. Lots of guys were adding me to their favourites, I was getting emails, it was all good. I even took the plunge and met up with someone. After making it through the first date I was all go to meet up with more people. And then, as quickly as the emails and favourites came flooding in, they disappeared.

It's been over a week and nothing. Nada. It was a little depressing at first, I find rejection difficult enough to deal with without it coming from someone I haven't even met. Vi said that online dating can be streaky and I would agree with that. So I'm not too bothered about the quiet spell.

Except that the more I think about it, the more I want to throw in the cyber towel. I still don't like the idea of it. I'd much rather meet someone by chance then meet them because they saw my profile. 'But', I hear you exclaim, 'so would most people'! So true. But I don't think I've given leaving things to fate or whatever you want to call it enough of a chance. I'm getting more of a social life in London, the more of a social life the more people you meet.

I'll keep my profile until May because that's when my 'membership' expires. After that I won't be renewing it. I'm glad I tried it, and it's nice knowing that it's there. But for now, I'll try meeting guys the old-fashioned way.

1 comment:

Violet said...

I'm a little perplexed by dating habits (if you can call them that) of British men. Here I thought all British men were Colin Firth/Hugh Grant types who learn another language and spontaneously fly to Portugal to ask their lady loves to marriage them. It's like the movies aren't real or something.

Don't worry, you'll confidence will be back, because this time next week, you'll be here, and I will introduce you to lots of cute, American men. Hooray!