Sunday, March 28, 2010

Pistachio Ice Cream... a crime?

I was recently flipping through an issue of The Economist (which is something I do all the time, I swear) when I came across an article about America's unjust sex laws. Naturally, I was intrigued and started to read. Especially because most of the article was about sex laws in my state. It was about a woman who is forced to register as a sex offender because of oral sex she performed in high school. Turns out, in this state, oral sex was included in the state's sodomy laws. That included oral sex between consensual married couples. So in other words, pistachio ice cream of any variety was outlawed until 1998 (!), when it was finally repealed. Can you imagine? Pistachio ice cream illegal? This brings to mind a few questions:

1. How on earth did they police this law?
2. How many people broke the law? My guess is not as many people who wanted the law to be broken on them.
3. What kind of person came up with this law?

I don't think that's what most people have in mind when they think of being handcuffed while engaging in such an act...

1 comment:

Fenella said...

What rubbish! Pistachio ice cream illegal? Only if it was really bad pistachio ice cream would that be acceptable.