Sunday, May 2, 2010

Nuns: A new breed of smug marrieds

I know I haven't posted in a while, but I had to share this with you guys...

Most of the time I'm fine with being a singleton. I have a lot of friends and stay really busy. Yes, I date, but I haven't found that special person who is worth giving up my freedom. Honestly, I'd pick an evening with friends over any of the guys I've been out with since January. So does this mean that it is my choice to be single? Sure, I would choose being single over dating a guy I'm not into. Isn't that how it should be? Why don't smug marrieds get that? Why do they have to imply that there is something wrong with me? My parents had friends visiting this weekend and I had to sit silently while they discussed how their daughters couldn't get guys and only have guy friends. They were implying that there must be something wrong with us. Why else would we not be able to snag one of these male friends? I wanted to cut in and say "I suppose it doesn't help that underneath our clothes our entire bodies are covered in scales."

Later in the weekend I was hanging out with a friend who recently got married. We ran into a nun from her church. I had met this nun before and she asked me if I was also married. I'm getting more used to this question; however, I was totally unprepared for her response. The nun told me that she would pray for me. So, yes, even nuns are smug marrieds now and singletons require prayer! What is this world coming to? I was nice and didn't point out the cons of being married to God to the smug married nun.

1 comment:

Fenella said...

Don't worry Scarlet, we all know that singletons are amazing and smug marrieds aren't.

And as for nuns now being smug marrieds, well I don't really know what to say to that I'll be honest...