Friday, January 9, 2009

It's not them, it's you

I just read a very interesting article on why we can't find a date.

Sadly, I found a bit too much of myself in this article.
  • First and foremost, and that one thing we hear so often in the single world that it has become cliche, is confidence, confidence, confidence. I've always been the confident girl (since I left high school, anyway), but now I've been single so long, I can sense that confidence waning. Nearly a year in South America doesn't exactly help either, where the locals were so obvious I felt like a piece of meat, but the other gringos were only interested in taking advantage of the local girls. Now, I don't exactly strut my stuff with the confidence I once had.
  • Case study 1 Outward behavior: Extreme pickiness. I know I'm picky, I've discussed it a few times on this blog (but I'm working on that!) But I know I'm not nearly as picky as the extreme cases Novak discusses here. No, I don't think my soulmate has yet to move out of his parents' basement while still working at the local fast food joint, but I don't care if he drives a fancy car or has a nice house/apartment.
  • Case study 2 Outward behavior: Can’t flirt. I don't think I'm completely incompetent in this department, (as I have flirted successfully in the past) but when Novak mentions girls who "talk sports with the bartender" or who responded to come-ons with a "sarcastically nasty comment," it hit a bit too close to home, as these behaviors are "always the girl friend, never the girlfriend." See? I knew my ESPN habit was partially to blame for my singleton status!

No comments: