Monday, April 26, 2010

Social exhaustion

I had the most social weekend I've ever had in my life. I am exhausted.

On Friday, I had a date with the Karaoke Kid. I hardly had enough time to blog and take the shine off my face after work when he came to pick me. (When I told my roommate my plans she asked "Are you guys going to do it?" I replied, "No, I'm not showering.") It was a nice night so we decided to walk to the Square, 2 subway stops away. This turned out to be quite a marathon and he was getting nervous about it taking so long. Cute. 45 minutes later we arrive at the place he picked. A mexican restaurant with a long wait. Apparently he tried calling ahead but they don't take reservations. Cute. Since we could be seated right away if we sat outside, we went for it. We ate outside. At night. In April. In Boston. And I had a great time. The conversation was good, as were the margaritas. We went back to his place for a couple beers and sat around with his roommate. It made me realize how much a missed hanging out with boys. I love boys. The Karaoke Kid walked me home very late, I had to get up early after all, but I will be sure to see him again.

On Saturday I had to head back to school for a conference. After spending the day with some friends up there, I settled in for a evening with Conrad. Obviously, it was awesome of me to pick a new guy over him the night before, but I still wanted to hang out. It was strictly platonic and I even told him about the Karaoke kid (kind of). Hooray! We are no longer imaginarily exclusive! Hooray!

I left Conrad's on Sunday afternoon to meet The Wedding Singer for lunch. Sorry I forgot to announce this, but last week I decided to join OkCupid. I figured it was about time I actually tried to meet people, and figured I should do it while I have a reason to do it (i.e. I just moved here). I started talking to The Wedding Singer on Thursday and made plans to meet with him that night. He was seriously making me laugh out loud via messaging so I figured he deserved a shot. I had a nice lunch with him. He was very very interested in what I did for a living ("Seriously, will you come into my work and just talk about your work?") and also talked my ear off about his job and music career. It's cool that he's a wedding singer (among other things) but honestly, how long do we need to talk about your band, the history of your band, the drama in your band, etc., etc. All in all, he seems like a good, fun guy who would be cool to have as a friend (and handy as well, he teaches guitar lessons, my '09 resolution could come true afterall!), however, I was in no way attracted to him. I was getting a little bored with all the band business and I had plans for my final date of the weekend.

This "stop calling it a date" date was with the Mutual friend, who I haven't seen in two months or so. He has been living in Boston as well and I think there is one reason why I haven't seen him: his newish girlfriend (who he admits is time to end things with). Anyhow, we got food, got beer, went back to my place, talked, played trivia games, reminisced, etc., etc. Basically hung out for hours. I had a great evening, as he is great fun. And because the Mutual Friend is the one boy that will always only be strictly platonic with, it wasn't even awkward when he pulled a pair of underwear out of my overflowing drawer to make fun of my disastrous room ("Oh, I like these!). Nor was it awkward when my slut of a roommate started having loud sex at 9 pm while we sat in my living room, trying to hold a conversation (oh, roommates). He actually made the situation quite amusing. I love that kid. I love boys. And I didn't realize how much I missed them until this weekend.

1 comment:

Violet said...

Kudos to entering the online dating pool! You're right, it's best to do it when you're new in town, it's a great way to meet people. Bummer The Wedding Singer isn't everything Adam Sandler is, that would have been fantastic.