Thursday, February 19, 2009

We're All in This Together!

Grayer and I have a secret. But before I spill the beans, let me just say that we are both well-educated, mature (sometimes), well-rounded adults. We both read books, sometimes really fat ones, enjoy traveling the world, and I for one enjoy the occasional pretentious foreign film.

We also happen to be closet High School Musical fans.

Yes, that High School Musical. (HSM for those in the know.) The one with the singing and the dancing and the almost kissing. It all started innocently enough. During a weekend visit, I picked the original up at the library claiming I just "wanted to see what all the fuss was about." It was a good time. The singing, the dancing, the dreamy teen sensation.... Then over Christmas we netflix'd HSM2. More dancing! More singing! And this time they actually kissed!

But then HSM: Senior Year came out in theaters, and we were faced with a dilemma. We couldn't actually go see it in the theater. Before, we simply checked it out of the library (for free) and added it to the netflix que. We were completely innocent in that we didn't actually make a plan to go to the theater at a specific time and pay $10 to see it. We're not ready to come out of the closet just yet.

We're not alone, however. When the movie came out in October, I found this article about other adult fans, many of them asking their friends if they could borrow their children to take to the theater. (I pause to take a sip out of my HSM hologram cup, a gift from G herself.)

Is this a phenomenon of the 21st century? Adults being fans of pop culture originally meant for children, that is. Just recently, we had the Twilight moms, and I myself was at a midnight premiere, courtesy of tickets I purchased 10 days ahead of time. And how did I get into Twilight in the first place? As a way to get over the end of Harry Potter, thank you very much. And you better believe I will be at the theater (preferably IMAX) at midnight on July 17. I think this one looks like it could be the best movie yet.

Grayer and I still haven't seen Senior Year. Oh, we'll watch it eventually, but right now we're in different states. We couldn't possibly watch it alone. I admit, it's way past time to let go of all my 80s cartoon paraphernalia. Those Strawberry Shortcake pajama pants just aren't sexy. But I'm not giving up my HSM hologram cup.

1 comment:

Grayer said...

In our defense, we enjoy HSM because it's funny in a way that it shouldn't be. High schoolers who barely get a kiss in is just funny. And we grew up enjoying classic musicals, so basically we've been bred to enjoy a modern day one (even if intended for 10-year-olds).

And that halogram cup is classy, almost as nice as my HSM Christmas ornament, or my HSM magnets (though they are not hours of fun like the package promised). And as a well-educated/rounded mature adult, let it be known that I will be using my HSM pen when I present in my lab meeting today. I like the way it writes...