Tuesday, July 6, 2010

How normal is your sex life?

I'm not being personal. Honest.

I'm not a great magazine connoisseur. When I do read magazines they tend to be "celebrity" ones and I only read these when I'm going on a long plane/bus/train journey, or when my housemate gives me hers. I try to steer well clear of fashion and lifestyle magazines. This is for a variety of reasons but mainly because I know that I'll never be able to follow or afford the fashion, my hair is never going to look like that and no matter how hard I try to copy their make-up tips my face will inevitably look like I've let a child loose with a paintbrush and/or marker pen.

However, a few days ago whilst perusing the magazine covers I spotted Cosmopolitan (both fashion and lifestyle no?) for the reduced price of £2 (normal price £3.40) and it came with a trashy chick-lit book. One of my guilty pleasures. I decided to splurge.

It was whilst I was flipping through the pages that I realised why I never buy magazines such as Cosmopolitan. They scare me. They're always full of stories and sex tips that I never would have thought of and would have to be practically incoherent with alcohol to even contemplate and advice on how to 'snare' men that I would never have the confidence to try. This particular issue is even worse: it's the "sexy" issue. So the question is ladies:

How normal is your sex life?

According to women in the UK:
*More than half of the survey participants consider themselves good in bed. (Oh to have that confidence.)
*70% worry about what they look like when they have sex. (Turn the lights off?)
*Women are more likely to moan about how much sex they're (not) getting if they live in London. (Agreed.)

This is obviously just a sample. However, there was one statistic that intrigued me:

* A quarter of single girls have sex once to three times a week.

Yes, you read that right. Single girls. Once to three times. A week. Which really does beg the question, where are they finding these men?! Or they're just lying. I hope they're lying because if not, I am clearly missing out.

This has been an education. And it only cost me £2. And I got a book.

Oh and they also listed the top 5 sex positions. If anyone is interested.

4 comments:

Violet said...

I don't read these magazines for the same reason. I will never get that "tousled bed hair" down to perfection, it will always be too frizzy, and NO ONE can afford those clothes. Right?

So yes, I think people are lying. Unless they mean single girls as in unmarried girls. I mean, you're still single on your taxes if you're unmarried. But if they mean single as in not in a relationship, then yes, they're lying. There's no way 100% single girls are getting that much sex. Maybe Samantha Jones could pull that off, but not even the other Sex and the City ladies could, and they clearly had more sex than any real person does.

And you already told me via skype what the top 5 positions are, but what are you holding out for? Dish!

Mrs. Indecisive said...

Hey I'm new to this blog ::hi!::

I stopped buying Cosmo about four years ago. Even when I was single, I found I couldn't really absorb any new information, which would be the point right? So now I buy Women's Health :) They have some sex stuff, but it's more exercises and cool recipes.

Plus, to have sex 1-3 times a week, even in America...is unheard of. Once a week, MAYBE, if you're promiscuous.

Grayer said...

Who are these women?! 1-3 times a week?! Try a month! I don't read Cosmo because 1. it makes you feel terrible about yourself (for your lack of booty, for the size of your booty, for not wearing $400 jeans to cover your booty) and 2. there is no possible way that there are THAT many sex secrets. Seriously.

Scarlet said...

Maybe it is an average and they included prostitutes?