Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The way we were

Last night I saw the Karaoke Kid and The Roommate. Yes, it was the first time I saw them since that time. The first time since that time I left the Karaoke Kid passed out on the couch. The first time since that time I left the Roommate with a long kiss goodbye.

It's been well over a month. My contact with them has been limited to say the least. A few messages here and there with the Karaoke Kid (saying we should hang out, but it would only be as friends) and a whole lot of nothing from The Roommate. It was The Roommate that I was nervous to see when it was decided that I would be joining them and their other friends for trivia last night. Since I was nervous, I decided to bring my new go-to-girl, June (She's always up for anything, and I had a sneaking suspicion that she would really hit it off with their other roommate, The Hipster).

We didn't win in trivia (though I proved to myself the only knowledge I can retain is pop-culture knowledge) but we gave it a good college try over beers and huge burgers. Things were kind of like normal. But not.

The Karaoke Kid was fine. We made normal conversation. I realized he was shockingly unhelpful at trivia but still oddly good at karaoke (which is where we headed afterwards. His song of choice? Lisa Loeb's "Torn". The ladies loved it.) The problem was, while my attention was turned elsewhere, I'd catch him looking at me. Ok, not just looking at me, but giving me the look. The steamy, I'm-a-gonna-get-you-pregnant look. (No, I don't think he was thinking about getting me pregnant, but the intensity of the look could have gotten the job done). This is a problem because we are just friends. Perhaps that's how he looks at his friends....

The Roommate was...different. First of all, we didn't make eye contact for the first 15 minutes. When we did finally speak to each other, it was to discuss game strategy and to argue over an answer. Later, he made sure not to get wedged into the booth next to me. Then he was texting most of the night (I can only assume with a girl). I felt like he was going out of his way to make sure I knew that nothing is/was/or will ever happen between us. Yes, I get it.

No, things were not as they used to be, but what can you expect? There were too many complications in the past. But we finally all hung out again and it was fine, I would even call it progress. The good news is I totally called it with June and The Hipster. (But if I lose my new single friend for a guy with tight jeans, chunky glasses and a mullet, I'm gonna be pissed!)

1 comment:

Effie L. Young said...

I find your story amusing and it shows an example of how the "Law of Attraction" work. You may or may not be familiar with this law but it's what some people refer to as fate. Your single friend and the hipster may be inevitable friends, lovers or even turn into enemies but it still all has to do with the "Law of Attraction". If you would like to know more about this, please read my blog. Have a great day and I look forward to knowing how it turns out with the hipster and your single friend.
http://effies-peopleonthemove.blogspot.com/