Sunday, July 18, 2010

Boston on my mind

I've been living in Boston for 4 months now. If there is one thing I've noticed in Boston, it's that everyone, and I am talking everyone, is part of a couple. Therefore, I'm starting a club. A Single Ladies club. Current enrollment: 2. (Ha! And you thought it would be one!).

That's right, I've made a single girl friend. We met at a 4th of July BBQ. I scored her number. We met up for drinks. And yesterday our relationship moved up to the next level, when after hanging out all day, I brought her to a work guy's BBQ. That's right I had a plus one. I never have a plus one!

With her being new in town as well, we've been noting a general fact: As an adult, it's difficult to make friends. We're not playing double dutch at recess, we're not sharing gossip on the volleyball bus, and were not pregaming in our dorm rooms. Making friends as an adult is a whole new ball game. Especially in Boston, where everyone is cold, clique-y, and coupled.

Cold, clique-y and coupledness also makes it difficult to date, which is another thing my Single Ladies club has agreed upon. Even my new hair dresser concurs. "Everyone in Boston is either a couple or a miserable asshole." Grrrreat. She also claimed she had read somewhere that Boston was supposed to one of the worst cities for dating. To which I said, WHHHHAAAAT?!?! Before I started packing up my shit to get the hell out of this city, I decided to do some research. Luckily, I found no truth to the claim, which is good because I really didn't want to have to quit my job. Actually, in 2008, Forbes named Boston the 7th best city in the U.S. for singles (but perhaps in the past 2 years everyone has coupled up?). What was the best/where should you move next? Atlanta, the home of our very own, Violet J. Bickerstaff. So that's why they call it "Hotlanta".

P.S. Violet hates when they call it Hotlanta.

2 comments:

Violet said...

No one who actually lives here calls it Hotlanta. No one. But whatever you call it, it is an awfully good city for singles and dating. I think it has to do with the weather. The city is full of parks and patios, prime real estate for mingling. My theory was further proven in the winter, when I was meeting absolutely no one (and was thus forced to hang out at the cute neighbor's house), as no one was out and about. But once the weather starts heating up about the end of February, the singles come out of hibernation.

But you're right. There are few things more difficult than making friends as an adult. When you're in school, you don't need to try to make friends. As an adult, you really have to go out of your way to find them. And usually, the bigger the city, the lonelier you are. So congratulations for finding another member of your Single Girls' Club. That is an impressive accomplishment indeed.

Mrs. Indecisive said...

ack! I'm jealous you live in Boston!!! I bet that's amazing!

I agree. Making friends as an adult is very similar to dating. Best foot forward, impress, impress and impress some more and MAYBE if you're lucky, you can get a dinner "date" out of them and perhaps six months down the line, you can add them to facebook. hahaha it's so complicated!