Sunday, July 25, 2010

So this is why I'm still single...

My apologies for being absent from the blog for awhile, I've had a visitor in the form of mine and Vi's other half (third?) Jen. Vi - we missed you!!

As well as Jen and I having oodles of fun after almost 2 years apart we also discovered something very interesting...the reason why I am still single. The answer?

British men.

They. Are. Hopeless. Seriously. You may recall I have previously voiced my opinion about British men and the differences in dating between here and on your side of the pond. But it is much worse than I thought.

Jen and I were out one evening. She was on a mission to find me a man. I wished her luck but said it wasn't gonna happen. I explained that I wasn't being self-deprecating but that British men don't really approach women and that we should go out simply with the mission to get drunk and dance. Jen was not to be dissuaded. Here is how the evening unfolded:

Bar #1: Pisco Sours were consumed. Jen seem surprised that there was a group of guys standing near to a group of girls but the guys weren't approaching the girls at all. I resisted the urge to say "I told you so."

Bar #2: Cocktails and a shot of sambuca and tequila was consumed. Jen and I sat sipping (well, glugging) our cocktails. We weren't approached. Jen was started to get irritated. We decided to dance. Jen gave guys a (non-scary and non-threatening) look as if to say: "if you come talk to us, we won't send you away." That didn't work.

Bar #3: Cocktails and more tequila was consumed. Jen asked a guy who was looking at us if he wanted to do a shot with us. He walked away looking a bit scared. We danced some more. Jen admitted I was right about British men. I normally like being right, but not this time.

I should mention that Jen is a really pretty girl, she's blonde and tanned and even I was a little bit surprised that the only guy that wanted to chat to her was the Colombian coat check guy. See? British guys are USELESS.

It seems that the only way people meet their 'significant others' over here are in college or travelling situations.

Case #1 My First Boyfriend: we met at college where meeting people is so much easier. Namely because of the alcohol.

Case #2 Fergus: we met in Peru, in that travelling type of situation where native English speakers tend to stick together.

Intrigued by my own personal experience I had a think about the couples that I know and how they met. Of my poll of 10 couples the results of how they met are as follows:

College: 6
Travelling situation: 2
Online Dating: 1
Work: 1

It seems that in order to increase my chances of meeting someone I need to either:

a.) Go back to school. Not too keen on that one.
b.) Move to the US. Very keen on this one except I've recently discovered people only get 10 vacation days a year. Seriously?! I get 26. How do you manage with 10?

Or I could meet either a confident British guy or an American or Australian. That would do nicely.

Until then, hooray for cocktails and tequila!

1 comment:

Violet said...

I KNEW something was wrong with British men! I mean, you are hot. There is no reason you should not be handing out your number left and right. You should have business cards just for that. Seriously. You should move here immediately. It is possible to find a job with more than 10 vacation days. Of course, right now, I would take any job, don't let that deter you. We have a lot of federal holidays, which means a lot of long weekends.

P.S. You were drinking pisco sours? Can I order them over here?!