Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Hen Weekends....Beware.


One of my closest friends in the whole wide world is getting married. I am excited about this. I get to be a bridesmaid and wear a pretty dress. I am excited by this also. I've never been to a wedding before, this will be my first. I am mega-excited about this. So, just to be clear, I am honestly excited that my friend is getting married. This post is not about smug-married hating, wedding hating or wedding planning hating. Honest.

This post is about hen weekends. And the over blown affairs they have become.

***Note: According to Vi, hen weekends are known as bachelorette parties in the US, I will be referring to them as hen parties. It takes less time to type.***

As mentioned, I have never been to a wedding. Along with this, I have never been to a hen party or a hen weekend. That is about to change.

I understand the concept of hen and stag parties. Say goodbye to your single life with your friends, have some fun, have some drinks and take some crazy pictures. My issue is, when did this simple concept, this simple idea turn into a money-sucking activity. When did the parties become weekends?

I don't know if this is just a UK thing. But hen and stag weekends over here are HUGE. They have become a new form of tourism almost. There are cities known for their hen and stag weekends. You see the groups of people at the airport, raring to go. Most of them have already started drinking. They're wearing specially designed t-shirts and the hen groups will probably be wearing pink cowboy hats or pink feather boas. Or both.

Perhaps the weekends over here are so popular because, being a tiny island, it's easier (and cheaper) to get away for the weekend. For example, Ibiza, Prague and Marbella are very popular. The White Horse recently went on a stage weekend to Cardiff - and that was only for one night. They went to Wales. For one night. That cost the White Horse about £250.

£250. I've just been looking for a holiday, 3 nights in Prague and that's cheaper than a one night stag weekend in Cardiff. Therein lies my issue...the money. Why do you need to spend a fortune to get drunk, in a strange city, when you most probably won't remember much of the night before all because a friend is getting married? It's ridiculous. And unnecessary. It's just an extension of how weddings are becoming bigger than they need to be. It's about the marriage people, not the party.

Plus, it's an added expense to the wedding that you then have to attend. (I don't have this issue with my friend's wedding because as bridesmaid she is very kindly paying for my dress, shoes, travel to the venue and accommodation. We're also planning a fun hen weekend which doesn't involve travelling abroad, I seriously love my friend - and honestly and truly cannot wait for her wedding). If you are invited to both the hen / stag weekend this, coupled with the wedding means you will have to pay for:

Hen / Stag Weekend
* Travel
* Accommodation
* Food
* Drink (lots of drink)
Wedding
* Travel (if out of town)
* Accommodation (if out of town)
* A new outfit (if you're a girl, guys can possibly get away with not purchasing anything new)
* Wedding present

That's an expensive list.

I would like it to be known here, in writing, that should I ever get married I will not have a hen weekend. I will have a night with my friends - some pizza (or similar type of food), some cocktails (I don't drink beer) and some dancing. And maybe a pink feather boa. Just because.

1 comment:

Violet said...

Yes, I'm afraid the bachelorette parties have taken on the same life over here. Vegas is generally the preferred option. I've been fortunate enough not to have to attend any, but I do have a friend who's been both to Vegas and New York for "hen weekends." That's quite a bit of money. I'm with you, Fen. Pizza sounds good to me!