Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The one with Lisa's thunder

I just visited my good friend and former roommate/colleague, 8-year-Lisa, this past weekend.  Like we do every time we see each other anymore, we A) get drunk and bake irrationally and 2) discuss her Loser of a boyfriend and their seemingly dead-end relationship. I've written about them a couple times over the past couple of years.  They've now been together for 9 years, living together for 6 months and my opinion of them hasn't changed.  They love each other, they don't like each other.

I finally voiced some concerns about them this weekend. (For example, when I ask what the two of them like to do for fun together, she literally had no answer.  That's what I call a concern).   While she considered each one of them, she did not falter in her "In it to win it" mentality.  That girl wants a ring.  For as long as I've known her she's wanted a ring.  However, in the past 3 years she's gone from making up excuses for him not proposing, to trying to be a strong feminist who doesn't need a wedding to prove her self worth.   When she said this I reminded her of a certain Valentine's Day when she pretended she did not care about Valentine's Day and I ended up having to cheer her up after she did not get anything for Valentine's day.  Pretending to not need a marriage would have the same crushing disappointment.  Yes, she wants to get married.  Yes, she wants him to stand up and say "I want to be with you for the rest of my life."   When she finally admitted that, we came to the conclusion that it was time to have yet another talk about their future.  So when I left on Sunday morning, she planned to bring it up soon.

I got a call from her last night.  Here's basically how the first 5 minutes of the conversation went:
8yL: Grayer!  This is the call!  I'm engaged!!! (In a very shrill voice).
G:  No you're not.
This goes back and forth several times.
G: So what are you actually calling me for anyways? (Not to be a bitch, but it was my bedtime).
8yL: I'm En-Gaaaaaged!
And then I believe her (In my defense, her family didn't believe her either).  Here's how shit went down.  Lisa brought up their future and the prospect of marriage.  The Loser said he had been thinking about it.  Discussion continued and climaxed when he said something to the degree of, "So, ya wanna?"  She told him he wasn't doing it right, but by the end of it they were agreed upon one thing, they were engaged.  No ring.  No romance.  No proposal, just a rational discussion.  It's like a fairy tale, isn't it?

I don't mean to be a bad friend.  I'm happy for her, in a if you're happy, I'm happy, sort of way.  When he does get around to getting her a ring, I highly suggested they go pick it out together.  It will be something fun they can do together, and more importantly, he's notorious for buying her hideous jewelry. 

But enough about her, let's focus on what this means for me.  Aside from speculating if I'll be part of the wedding party, or if I will get to help plan a possible fall New England wedding (I have great non-career related aspirations to be a wedding planner), I'm having some weird thoughts.  This is my first close friend to get engaged, and although I'm happy for her and truly do not envy her for it (who would really?) I'm being weird about it.  It's as if Monica and Chandler just got engaged and my first thought is to sleep with Ross.  Seriously.  I had a dream about my ex-boyfriend last night (I haven't talked to him in over a year but today I realized is his birthday, weird!).  I kept thinking about Jonny Fucking Damon all day.  I've been really tempted to text Conrad all night (luckily I forgot my phone at work) and I was just Facebook stalking my ex-Imaginary Boyfriend and his seemingly perfect/skinny/pretty girlfriend.  Ugh.  What is wrong with me?!

1 comment:

Violet said...

Congratulations to the happy couple!
I predict a 5-year engagement.

Sounds like you're feeling a twinge of Rachel's jealousy. There is a reason why people hook up at weddings you know. There's some sort of weird, chemical response that happens when other people get married/get engaged, and apparently sleeping with the next person that walks by is the best way to deal with this response. Be lucky you're snowed in and left your phone at work. It saved you some very bad decisions.

And for the record, you'd make an excellent wedding planner.