Saturday, October 22, 2011

The right guy

someecards.com - I wish I wasn't so good at being alone.

You Guys!  I've been quiet, I know.  It happens.  Maybe I just needed some time alone.  (Oh wait, I get that all the time).  Apparently, all I needed was a chat with my father.

Two weeks ago our great aunt passed away.   She had been struggling quite a while with health issues so it was no surprise when we got the phone call.  Violet and I did not know her all that well, she was the sister of our grandfather and we can only really remember seeing her a handful of times since we moved so far away from the Bickerstaff clan.   But our Dad grew up around her and took a long roadtrip with his sister to make it to her funeral.  After he got back he was chatting with me about all the family he saw.  It seems we only see each other at funerals anymore, something that was pointed out to him last year at our other great aunt's funeral, when his cousin said, "Gee, it would be nice if we could all go to a wedding."  He was really just asking our dad when his spinster daughters were finally going to get hitched.

This time around, it sounds like family kept asking him if he has any grandkids yet.  "Well no, no grandkids.  I don't have any son-in-laws yet....they're not just looking for a guy, they're looking for the right guy."  For some reason he repeated this to me multiple times.  I think because he had to give the explanation multiple times.  He was sure to add that that was quite ok with him, and that's the way it should be.  Isn't he so supportive?  It's like he was saying his daughters date plenty, they have their pick of men, it's just that none of the guys have been good enough.  He was saying that we just haven't found them yet.  He was also saying that his daughters will not be having kids out of wedlock (cough, like our cousin, cough).  Oh Dad, you're so sweet.  I hope Violet bears you a grandchild real soon.

Last night I went out to a Meetup gathering, figuring maybe I could find my father a son-in-law.  Of course the one person I exchanged numbers with was a girl, who may just be my new single BFF.  We left that bar to go to another with some non-Meetup guys we had just met.  We had a great time, singing and dancing to an awesome band.  I didn't leave without first making out with my dancing partner in the middle of the floor.  I don't know what his name was.  All I know is that he was wearing skinny jeans and had an unfortunate Justin Bieber hairdo.  I also know he was celebrating his birthday.  His 21st birthday.  Don't worry Dad, I'll keep looking.

1 comment:

Violet said...

He's a good one, that dad. When he told me that story, he added "I think you've done pretty well." The parental unit's complete lack of pressure on us to get married and reproduce is probably the reason neither of us is divorced yet.