Wednesday, October 19, 2011

SUPERKING

As I mentioned before, my new room in my new flat is pretty big, as is my bed. King-sized big. Although, as I had to learn the hard way, it's not king-sized in the UK, it's SUPERking! On my first day here, I had to buy some sheets. I went to the store, found a king-sized fitted sheet, and brought it home, only to find out it didn't fit. Turns out, the UK system is different from the US system of classifying bed sizes. They have double, but what we call a queen, they call a king, and what we call a king, they call superking, which sounds more like it should be fighting crime in a Marvel comic. Therefore, the only queen you'll find here is Her Majesty, The Queen, whose stamp is everywhere, even on the bottle of Heinz ketchup. That came from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Also frustrating was grocery shopping for ingredients to make whoopie pies and being unable to find powdered sugar only to discover that instead of powdered or confectioner's sugar, they call it icing sugar here.  But I digress.

My bed is huge. It's so big, that I haven't found the need to purchase a nightstand yet. Why? Because I can just put my book, glasses and alarm (aka my phone) in a corner of my bed. I have so much space, I won't roll over and crush them. This is not a problem. It's great, in fact, as I like to spread myself out while I sleep. It's great until I wake up in the morning and realize that my glasses are all the way over on the opposite side of the bed, and there is absolutely nothing between us except a huge, empty expanse of chocolate colored sheets from Argos. Nothing. Just me. Alone. In my bed fit for a superking.

Obviously, I'm anxious to put a superking in my superking bed, but obviously I don't want to come off as desperate. I don't want to come up with a man-trapping plan (unless you can think of a really good one), because as I'm in this exciting city of 7 million people, I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing. Going to class and the library, hanging out with new friends in the student bar, going out on the weekends, and meeting new people practically everyday. As long as I keep an open-mind, things will just happen. I mean, I do have the best legs in London, right? But I don't know how much patience I have before I need to concoct a Plan.

3 comments:

Grayer said...

I've had a very depressing thought of how my mattress is going to be lopsided because I always sleep on the left side, alone. I should really turn it to prevent that from happening, but it's hard to move a queen sized mattress, alone.

Violet said...

Why don't you ask Bernard to help you?

Grayer said...

Seeing as that we rarely speak to each other anymore, I don't feel comfortable asking.