Saturday, December 25, 2010

Merry, Happy

Merry Christmas friends!!

We hope that these past couple days have been filled with gawdiness (can you say, light-up inflatable lawn ornaments?), gluttony (I'm on my second food coma of the day), and glee.  Violet and I are currently watching our parents play Wii.  Yes, that's right, for the first time ever, the Bickerstaffs own a gaming system and it's not for us kids, its for our parents.  Our day has been spent being ridiculously competitive at virtual Resorts Sports with the parentals still figuring out how to hold the controllers, and still marveling at how similar they look to their Mii. 

Since we've been home, I've taken some time to go through the Christmas newsletters they've collected this year.  Why people feel the need to write these from their pets perspective is a mystery.  Why people feel the need to strictly write about their pets is just downright baffling.  But it's not the animals that are bothersome, it's all the babies.

Mona and her husband had a baby boy on Thanksgiving day.  Mary Jane is expecting her second in January.  Maurice proposed to his college girlfriend this fall, the wedding is planned for this summer.  Our family is growing fast, it's hard to believe!  What are your girls up to? It doesn't seem like those girl scout days could have possibly been so long ago!

So this made me curious.  What are we up to?   Not in real life, of course, but in the annual family newsletter life.  So I did a little digging on the family dinosaur computer and found our letter.  It's complete with a family photo from Disneyworld (I swear the day I showed my mom how to add a picture into a word document was one of her best days ever).  The fact that our parents are using a picture of them and their late-twenty-something daughters at Disneyworld should tell you something: In the world of Christmas newsletters, Violet and I don't have much going on.

Violet is still in Atlanta and at the same job.  She's applying for grad schools for next fall, yada boring yada.  Grayer is now in Boston.  She works in a lab with various bacteria and a DNA machine. Both will be home for Christmas.

And that was it.  Not only did it tell us that all that matters (in the newsletter world) is what we do, but it also tells us that my parents don't know what I do (what the hell is a DNA machine??).  Clearly our parents did not do as well at marrying off their daughters as their friends did.  But it's Christmas, and that means all that money they should be spending on son-in-laws and grandbabies, they're just spending on us.  Works for me.  

1 comment:

Violet said...

Violet is still in Atlanta and at the same job? That's it? That sums up my entire year? I had a much more exciting year than that! We went to Costa Rica! I saw the stage musical version of Mary Poppins! I survived multiple auto malfunctions! Doesn't any of this deserve a mention? Geesh!