Sunday, May 15, 2011

Three's a crowd


Has anyone every wondered why there are 4 ladies in Sex and the City? Because three girls together is carnage.

Of course, there are exceptions to this rule and I can think of two. Me, Vi and our friend Clem - we are the three musketeers. And Elle, Serena and Margo from Legally Blonde. That's it. However, me and my two friends are a completely different story.

On paper, the three of us should not be friends. We're completely different in personality, likes and dislikes. Our fashion sense differs wildly so there isn't even the option of clothes swapping (that and we're all completely different sizes). Yet, by some great mystery of the universe the three of us have been friends for a number of years. We've been on holiday together, had drunken nights out together and generally been a close unit. But there is always drama. Always.

There was one occasion where I had to physically put myself in between the two of them and pull them apart (I'm not that strong). There's been other occasions where I've been in floods of tears after an argument and another occasion where we've not spoken to each other for hours. See? Drama.

My theory to why this is (apart from alcohol) is because there's three of us. Four girls together? If there's a problem, you tend to go off in pairs. Five? Two and three. Six? You get the idea. But three? Three inevitably equals a pair and someone left on their own. They feel ganged up on by the other two and somewhat isolated. A feeling I've become well accustomed to.

This past weekend, me and my friend Elsa (the one getting married soon) headed up to see our friend Rae (the one who isn't getting married soon). The evening started out fine. Drinks were drunk, old stories were laughed over, wood was chopped (Rae lives in the country). Basically, all was going well. Rae's housemate was also there and he was partaking in the fun as well.

At some point during the evening, he put his arm round me and I shrugged away. It was no big deal but I didn't want his arm round me. I said nothing. I walked back into the living room where Elsa asked if he was coming on to me. I said no, I just shrugged away. The next thing I know, Elsa's told Rae that he was coming on to me. Um...what? Then, the next thing I know, Rae is having a go a me for saying that he was coming on to me, something which I never said. I insisted I never said this while she basically took her housemate's side and Elsa sat there getting away scot free. She was the one who said something in the first place, and, something that wasn't even true.

Tears were shed (by me) and I was not happy the next day either. I felt ganged up (again) and we only cleared the air a few hours later. As I had predicted to the White Horse just before the weekend, there was going to be drama.

And drama there was. And drama there always is and three girls together is never a good idea. I remember when I was younger, about 6 years old, me and my two friends had a falling out and our mum had to sort it. I remember the mums commenting that three girls together was going to result in problems. How is it mothers know everything?

No comments: