Saturday, August 6, 2011

What's in a drink?

I was lying in bed with Financial Frank the other morning, picking his brain on the inner workings of a man.  I like to talk to him about dating because 1. He's so open and honest about it (and then says, "I don't know why I just told you that") 2.  He's constantly around women (sisters, cousins, roommates, friends) and 3. he's dated a lot.  Seriously, the dude's been around, yet his longest relationship has only lasted 4-5 months.

He was telling me about his most recent date with a girl that he knew would be way too high maintenance, first by the swanky bar she decided on and secondly by the drink she ordered.  With all his dating experience, he's come up with way to categorize a girl's needs based on what she drinks.  Here they are, from lowest maintenance to highest.

  1. Domestic and Light.  Ordering a Bud Light and not just because it's the cheapest thing on the menu (he'll pay, obviously).  I say she just hasn't developed a pallet for beer yet.
  2. Quality Regional Brew.  I argued that a girl who orders a beer that doesn't taste like water isn't any more high maintenance than the previous, she just has some self-respect.   (And yes, this is what I order).
  3. Wine.  Low key but trying to stay a little classy.
  4. Well drinks or Malt beverages.  Doesn't like beer, but still keeps it cheap.  We agreed, a girl who doesn't like beer isn't that cool of a girl.
  5. Mixed drinks.  Can you say, Malibu Baybreeze? A classic for ladies in their 20s it seems
  6. Mixed drink with specific instruction.  No house tequila for me, Senor, make it Jose Quervo. Gold. 
  7. Cosmopolitan (or other fruity martinis).  Let's face it, Sex and the City girls are high maintenance girls, so are the ones who order like them. 

I have to admit, it makes sense to me, but do you agree?  Don't be offended, drink what you want to drink.  Some men love girly high maintenance girls, some men don't.  Just be yourself.

And as for judging men on what they drink?  I can't respect a guy who can't finish his beer, nor could I ever date a guy who drinks apple martinis.  Stick to the brews, the rum and cokes, and the whiskeys.  I like my men to be manly.


Stay tuned for next time's Financial Frank lesson entitled "What men want: Children"

You'll be surprised.

1 comment:

Violet said...

I used to be a 3, but now I'm happy to say I'm a 1 or a 2. I like being low-maintenance.