Sunday, August 21, 2011

What Would Don Draper Do?


This time at home has taught me something: I'm an angry person here. I've always known that I didn't like living in my hometown. That's why I went to college out of state and I stayed there. But I've also come to learn that being here makes me angry.

It's something I didn't notice when I first got home because I chalked it up to the Break-up Blues. And while the crying and the loneliness were definitely part of that, there was also a part of me that just resented being here, so I went to see Grayer.

Visiting Grayer was a very, very good decision in all facets. First of all, Grayer is a lot more fun to hang out with than my parents. She drinks, they don't. She will go see the Glee 3-D concert movie with me, then choreograph a routine to PYT, with Grayer on lead vocals, ala Artie, and me on back-up vocals and dance, ala Mike Chang. While walking by Fenway Park. We're that cool. Then she'll belt out Glee tunes with me in the car while on a road trip. Ok, we might be gleeks. Maybe. She will also make herself scarce so I can hook-up with her roommate, which brings me to my second point.

My fling with Bernard was exactly what the doctor ordered. I really, really hate to admit it, but I really needed the attention and the compliments to ice my bruised ego. By the time I left, I realized that I had had a lot more sex in a week than I would have had I been in a relationship, and I realized that this whole single thing might not be so bad after all. Because let's face it, after the first month or so, you stop having sex multiple times a night, you just go the hell to sleep. So you would think going back to Bumfuck, USA properly sexed would make me a much happy camper, but you would be wrong.

While I did have a proper post-coital glow for a day or so, the anger crept back in before my bus had even arrived. Sure, there are some advantages to being here, namely the free rent and the swimming pool, but when I'm here, I'm just counting the days until I can escape. I just don't want to go to dinner at Ruby Tuesday's with my parents because they have a coupon. And when I open the refrigerator, I don't need my mother to start listing all the contents of the fridge as if I can't see what is directly in front of me. (What is with that? Is this a thing of all mothers or just mine?)

Which brings me to the irrational anger. Yesterday, I decided the perfect thing to do would be to get caught up on Mad Men, one of the best shows EVER, and since my parents stream Netflix, it was perfect! Until I couldn't figure out which one of the 15 remote controls would get me to the Wii. I called my parents to ask how to switch it,but when my mother's complicated directions came to nothing, and she finally just said, "Sorry, I'll just have to do it when I get home," I got angry. The "I'm home and can't get out" anger combined with my irrational "technology isn't working the way I want it to!" anger (because I do think I get abnormally angry when technology doesn't work. This is something I should work on. New Year's Resolution 2012!) was not a good combination. I calmed down by watching The Gilmore Girls (on cable) and reading whoopie pie recipes. Ahhhhhhh.

I have a wedding to travel to in 2 weekends, and after that it will only be 10 days until London. (eeek!) I'm just hoping I can make it that far, but I'm hoping the streaming Netflix will help. Let's see how many more tv series addictions I can develop.

Now if you'll excuse me, it's time for the finale of The Glee Project!

2 comments:

Grayer said...

1. If you're really wondering what Mr. Draper would do, I believe the answer is to smoke constantly, drink religiously, and have illicit affairs with women half your age.
2. I'm sorry you're at home and Mom is crazy annoying. Just remember, she just wants to make sure you're eating well (and she didn't used to do this, maybe it's their new big fridge that she doesn't think you can find things in).
3. I'm awesome.
4. You know you can just stream Netflix on your computer right?
5. Might I recommend watching Psych. It's a best friend comedy with mysteries and cute guys.
6. You're almost there, I'll see you next week!

Violet said...

1. I wish mom and dad kept alcohol in the house.
2. I know I can stream it on my computer, but I didn't know what the password and such to access it. I'll ask dad now.
3. I love Psych, actually.
4. 3 more weeks!!!!