Sunday, June 28, 2009

Kiss of the Highlander

To: Scarlet
From: Violet

He just compared me to his grandpa. Is that bad?

That was the text I sent to Scarlet during a date with The Highlander Friday night. It was a bit tricky getting the text out with him sitting right next to me, but I managed. On other occasions, I've even called Scarlet from a public restroom during a date to give her an update. She is having MM over for dinner tonight, and I requested that she keep her phone in the bathroom so she can send me update texts throughout. (Since it's not in a public place, he would obviously be able to hear her talking in the bathroom, and that might be a bit strange.) Just examples of how we have become entirely too reliant on one another.

In preparation for dinner with MM, I have given Scarlet my never-fail "I want to make-out with you advice": Talk about your underwear. Just a mention here or there at some point in the evening about your unmentionables works like a charm, I swear. Case in point:

Friday evening, The Highlander took me to a baseball game. He isn't much of a fan himself, and these were not easy (or cheap) tickets to come by, so I was pretty impressed. During the game, he asked me a few questions, since he hasn't followed baseball too closely since he was younger (a victim of the player's strike of '94), and at one point told me that this reminded him of going to games with his grandpa when he was a kid. "Did you just compare me to your grandpa?" I asked. He explained that when he was younger, he would ask his grandpa a million questions during the game and his grandpa always had the answers. As do I. Awesome. First John Boy (who I'm convinced has herpes) told me I was like a dude with long hair, and now The Highlander compared me to his grandpa.

But he made it perfectly clear later that the comparison was strictly baseball encyclopedic knowledge related when my underwear mentionitis worked perfectly, and no one would do that to their grandpa. Hoorah!

No comments: